The highly-rated Nickelodeon show Sam and Cat, which is apparently about two lovable female goofs who run a babysitting service, has not been renewed for a second season. This is a weird development, because the children go nuts for it — prompting many to speculate that the show's abrupt halt has something to do with the leaked photos of one of the show's stars, Jennette McCurdy, looking sensual in a thong.
The relatively tame photos of Jennette — who is 21, and if you are a millennial who made it to 21 without taking a sensual pic, congrats on being a Luddite — she said they were intended only for one person. On March 29, she didn't attend the network's Kid Choice Awards and tweeted that the network had put her in "was put in an uncomfortable, compromising, unfair situation (many of you have guessed what it is)." She later added, "My previous tweet had nothing to do with pics leaked.oh you guys lol."
But if not the pictures, then what, wondered the entire Internet. In a statement, a Nickelodeon official said, "The photos caused no issues between McCurdy and the network, and we have the utmost respect for her." Also: "We are wrapping up what was an unusually long production cycle of 'Sam & Cat,' and everyone is understandably tired." (There's only been 1 season of the show, but it was 40 episodes long.)
BIG MYSTERY. (It was probably the pictures.) [NY Daily News]
One of Miley Cyrus's dogs died while she was on tour :'( "I don't wanna say it because I don't want it to be real... But my precious baby Floyd has passed away... I am broken," she tweeted, prompting #RIPFloyd to trend worldwide. Floyd was a really cute lil guy; I hope he is frolicking around gleefully in Dog Heaven. [NY Daily News]
Lady Gaga dressed like a normal, sort of, and it was really weird. I hope she starts showing up to things in tapered sweatpants and a scrunchie; that's like the only avant-garde fashion thing left for her. [Daily Mail]
- Did Lauren Conrad dye her hair pastel purple or is it an elaborate April Fools' Day ruse? How will I sleep until I know? [LaurenConrad.com]
- Russell Brand is writing a children's book. Is it a prank? Maybe. BUT THE BIGGEST PRANK OF ALL IS OUR GOVERNMENT. (This is something I think his book might say.) [E!]
- Farrah Abraham is writing an erotic trilogy set in a fantasy realm in which everyone is a sex wizard. Ha ha, just kidding; it's about making a "celebrity" "sex tape." [NY Daily News]
- Taylor Swift spotted cozying up to E.E. Cummings. [Instagram]
- Bar Rarfaeli had gold poured all over her face as a beauty procedure (not as a Dothraki murder method, don't worry). [E!]
- Victoria and David Beckham's son Brooklyn, 15, made his modeling debut. In one shot he is wearing a windbreaker with a picture of a quiche on it that says "Quiche." [People]
- "What has Lupita Nyong'o been up to since the Oscars?" wondered a gossip reporter, who then went on her Instagram and found out. Illuminating. [PopSugar]