Diane von Furstenberg presented her spring collection yesterday — but pretty much all anybody is talking about are the weird little glasses that several of the models sported. The glasses are a new product which Google has awkwardly named Glass, singular. Company co-founder Sergey Brin was on hand (he even took a bow on the runway with von Furstenberg and her creative director, Yvan Mispelaere) to explain the glasses, which take the form of a kind of headset with a small glass rectangle that hangs over the user's right eye. That glass can record and play back video and photos, display text messages, and do other things that sound distracting and/or dangerous. (Friends don't let friends glass and drive!) The glasses will cost around $1500 when they hit stores. "The goal is to really connect you to digital life without really taking you away from real life," says Brin. [WWD]
- Joanna Coles on her plans for Cosmopolitan: "I'd like to slightly broaden its reach." [Fashionista]
- Iman says one time ("uhh...late '70s?") she almost missed a runway show because she was out partying. She said she lived her fashion week nightmare, "leaving Studio 54 at 6am, getting home, taking a quick shower, and getting to the show late. I just made it to the final exit." [Fashionista]
- Sui He is now a face of Shiseido. [WWD]
- The Tracy Reese dress that Michelle Obama wore at the Democratic National Convention was custom, but the designer is rushing the design into production. Reese — who showed her spring collection yesterday — says it should be available in 8-12 weeks. [Fashionista]
- Nary Manivong and Ally Hilfiger (daughter of Tommy) have shut down their emerging label, NAHM. [WWD]
- And now, a moment with designer Michelle Ochs. Michelle, do you have a pre-fashion show ritual for good luck?
"I have a nervous stomach, so I eat McDonald's before every show. I don't know why, but it's the only thing that calms me down ... It's so weird though, I woke up today, and I wasn't hungry. That's the first time that has ever happened before a show. But, I felt like I would jinx everything if I didn't have McDonald's. So, I stopped and had a cheeseburger and McNuggets."