Like the rest of America, Uma Thurman has been keeping a watchful eye on the legislative nightmare that is Texas’ six-week ban on abortion. The actress and mother of three was so disheartened by what’s been happening with reproductive rights that she wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post and shared her personal experience of having an abortion in her late teens while living in Cologne, Germany.
I lay awake on the table while the doctor, who was a kind man, explained every step of the process as it happened. It hurt terribly, but I didn’t complain. I had internalized so much shame that I felt I deserved the pain.
My fingers were tightly locked across my chest, and when the procedure was done the doctor looked down at me said, “You have beautiful hands — you remind me of my daughter.” That single gesture of humanity is seared in my mind as one of the most compassionate moments I have ever experienced. In his eyes, I was a person, I was a daughter, I was still a girl.
Thurman said she deeply empathizes with Texans, who now face a complete rollback of their reproductive rights and have been deputized to enforce the law by essentially spying on and suing each other. “To all of you — to women and girls of Texas, afraid of being traumatized and hounded by predatory bounty hunters; to all women outraged by having our bodies’ rights taken by the state; and to all of you who are made vulnerable and subjected to shame because you have a uterus — I say: I see you. Have courage. You are beautiful. You remind me of my daughters,” she wrote.
- Daniel Craig has some very specific thoughts about women and James Bond, who, may I remind you, is a fictional character, so let’s all calm down. [People]
- Willie Garson, who played the much-beloved Stanford Blatch on Sex and the City, has died. [TMZ]
- Kathryn Hahn is definitely out for an Emmy in her upcoming role. [E!]
- Conor McGregor throws like a blogger who wasn’t good enough to make it onto the company softball team. Not that I am speaking from experience, just saying. [TMZ]
- Happy birthday to both of Britney Spears’s sons, who are teenagers!! [TMZ]