Amy Adams was reportedly booted from a scheduled Today Show appearance on Monday for expressing discomfort about questions pertaining to the Sony hack.
Adams' name was brought up in stories related to the Sony hack when it was revealed she and her co-star Jennifer Lawrence had earned far less than their male co-stars in American Hustle. According to Gossip Cop, Adams was "surprised" on Monday when representatives from the Today Show told her they would be asking questions about the hack during her scheduled interview. (Adams is currently making the rounds on the talk show circuit to promote her new film, Big Eyes, directed by Tim Burton).
[Staffers] informed her shortly before her interview that she would be asked about the hack, especially when she was only slated to be on for a few minutes to discuss her movie. The New York Daily News first reported that something had gone awry with Adams' interview, although Gossip Cop is told that the outlet's characterization of Adams' outrage is somewhat exaggerated. We hear the version of events in which Adams allegedly "freaked out" and "got aggressive" in the green room before leaving is not accurate.
According to Gossip Cop, Adams told NBC staffers she was uncomfortable with the questions and surprised they would even bring it up. The Today Show reportedly told her the show was a "news organization," and insisted that if she wanted to appear on the show, she would have to address the hack. Adams then (reluctantly) agreed but producers opted to cancel her appearance anyway because worried that she might give insignificant answers.
What makes this even more interesting, as Deadline's Mike Fleming, Jr. notes, the show seemed to have no problem pushing the issue with Adams, a woman, but gave Bradley Cooper (who was one of her stars in the aforementioned American Hustle) a pass when it came to questions about the show:
Meanwhile, Today had done a previously taped segment with American Sniper's Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood, and didn't ask them — even though Cooper starred with Adams (both got Oscar noms) in the Sony-distributed American Hustle. Adams didn't refuse to answer the question and she didn't balk, I'm told. Prepared to explain away a scandal she played no role in, Adam was seen live in the orange room, just before she was to be interviewed. But the show bounced her, pulling her segment and completely wasting her time.
Adams also avoided addressing the Sony hack during her appearance on Saturday Night Live this weekend, dodging any jokes about it in her monologue. The show left that to Mike Meyers' Dr. Evil, who really said everything that needed to be said.
- Mark Cuban was insulted by producers' offers to pay him $30,000 per episode of Shark Tank. This coincides perfectly with the roll out of my new invention I plan to pitch on the show—a device that gets Cuban to shut the hell up. ZING! Ha! OK, I'm just kidding. Get paid, Cuban [Business Insider]
- The latest singer to tackle "Let It Go" aka Lea Michele stepped out with her boyfriend Matthew Paetz. She has been through hell the past few years and I really hope she's happy now. [Just Jared]
- Here are pictures of Vanessa Hudgens doing her version of Audrey Hepburn. ::sighs heavy sigh, pushes desk away from computer, goes to look if there is any wine leftover:: [Daily Mail]
- In case you need to hear what System of a Down think of the Sony hack, here you go. [TMZ]
- Karen O is taking a little break from performing with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. [NME]
- Rihanna wears no makeup in these photos. Everyone makes a big deal out of Rihanna wearing no makeup. Rihanna gives no fucks. [E]
- Thank GOODNESS, Casey Kasem was finally laid to rest, six months after he died. RIP. [ABC]
- Surprise, the Duggars have batshitcrazy rules that they force on their extended family. Hmm, no wonder Tim Tebow isn't eager to jump on this express train to boredom. [Radar]
- Joe Manganiello and Sofia Vergara are basically perfect. Period. [Perez Hilton]
- North West entered her mother's chambers, flanked on both sides by her royal guards. She gazed upon her mother, clad in the most decadent fabrics bestowed upon her by the most accomplished tailors in their kingdom. "Take them off, Mother," she whispered. "I want them." And lo, the queen mother obeyed, for she had no fight left within her. [Hollywood Life]
- Dolly Parton is facing a lawsuit after a visitor to Dollywood was injured on a swing ride. [TMZ]
Singer Joe Cocker has died at the age of 70. Thanks for helping us feel alright for all these years, man.
Image via Getty.