- Alaska Senator Ted Stevens was convicted today of all 7 counts he faced related to not reporting gifts on his Senate financial disclosure forms. He's up for re-election but most sources agree he's unlikely to do time. [CNN]
- The ATF foiled a half-assed plot by a bunch of psycho skinheads to kill a bunch of African-American high schoolers and assassinate Barack Obama. Because, you know, then everyone would be on their side or something. [Huffington Post]
- In other dumb ideas, a GOP group is running $2.5 million worth of Reverend Wright ads in swing states this week. As TNR's Michael Crowley points out, please note how the word "hate" turns into "God" in the middle. Subtle! [The New Republic]
- At a Palin rally in Iowa this weekend, one of her supporters gave up on using subtle terms like "terrorist" or "traitor" or "socialist" or "communist" and loudly expressed why she thinks people shouldn't vote for Obama: "n*****." Palin, naturally, stumbled in her speech but didn't say a word and neither did the crowd. [YouTube]
- A bunch of hateful racist asswipes tore down the sign marking the location in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi where authorities recovered Emmett Till's body in 1955. Emmett Till was the 14-year-old victim of a vicious, racist attack for which the two white guys who admitted to it were later acquitted by an all-white jury. Police think the racist vandals might have chucked the sign in the river. What the fuck is wrong with people? [MSNBC]
- Just in case you didn't know, the bullshit line of the religious groups trying to get Proposition 8 passed in California is that it will be the end of religious freedom because it will force them to marry gay people. Of course, Catholics churches can refuse to marry non-Catholics and every other religion can impose rules and whatever, but logic is totes overrated. [NY Times]
- Oh, and the Yes on Prop 8 hatemongers are attempting to blackmail California businesses into supporting their cause by threatening to expose their tolerance to homophobes that would boycott them. [KFMB]
- A self-identifying Republican launched a series of robocalls against incumbent Republican Mike Thompson inspired by phone sex. It's, um, creepy. [Huffington Post]
- The lady who survived her mother's attempt to abort her has another anti-Obama ad up. If you thought McCain was condescending in the debates, try her on for size. [Politico]
- But 7 members of the cast of The Wire are going to be campaigning for Obama in North Carolina tomorrow. That's about all I got for uplifting news, sorry.
Ok, this Yes of Prop 8 shit has GOT TO DIE NOW. Apparently they're running ads saying that gay marriage will be taught in schools so vote Yes on 8 or some shit? I only caught the end on the radio this morning, but my head nearly exploded.
Also, more small children handing out flowers and Yes on 8 stickers at the Farmer's Market this weekend. Ugh. Makes me sick.