​Student Keeps Contacts in for Six Months, Amoeba Eats Her Eyeball

Illustration for article titled ​Student Keeps Contacts in for Six Months, Amoeba Eats Her Eyeball

A Taiwanese student has gone blind after keeping contact lenses in her eyes for six months straight. NO NO NO NO NO.

Advertisement

By not taking her lenses out or cleaning them at all, Lian Kao created the perfect condition between her eyeball and the lens for acanthamoeba to develop. The single cell bugs can apparently "burrow their way through the cornea," and that's exactly what happened to Kao—that shit literally ate up the surface of her eyeballs.

Via Daily Mail:

The director of ophthalmology at Taipei's Wan Fang Hospital, Wu Jian-liang, said: 'Contact lens wearers are a high-risk group that can easily be exposed to eye diseases.

'A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground.

'The girl should have thrown the contact lenses away after a month but instead she overused them and has now permanently damaged her corneas.'

Advertisement

Alright contacts wearing people, there is your horrific cautionary tale. Please take good care of your eyeballs, don't do the thing where you mix up your contact solution with the hydrogen peroxide disinfecting solution, and try not to develop eyeball-eating amoeba.

The more you know.

Image via Shutterstock.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter

DISCUSSION

Two years ago I had the same amoeba start to develop under my lens despite regular cleaning and removal at night, so I had to stop wearing contacts for 4 months, use special drops, let my eyes heal, and use stronger solution to clean the contacts after that. It came back anyway, so I now am permanently in glasses, looking at Lasik. That said, the reason I knew it was happening was that I had a fucking ulcer on my eyeball and that HURTS. It felt like I had a hole in my eye because I DID. Like seriously, getting poked in the eye or scratched on your cornea has NOTHING on having small amoebas chewing little pock marks on your eyeball. It was excruciating for like a month after even with the numbing agent they gave me so that I could tolerate the amoebicide drops that felt like I was putting hydrogen peroxide in my eyeball. Keep in mind, the ulcers they made were at the time basically divots that required mechanical assistance to view, not even all the way through the cornea or anything.

I guess what I'm saying is HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT IS HAPPENING BEFORE IT GETS THIS BAD. She would have had to ignore the most excruciating acute pain imaginable for MONTHS!