Warner Bros. has just announced that famed beautiful moody white person Rooney Mara will be playing Tiger Lily, a Native American princess, in an upcoming adaptation of Peter Pan. Great to see Hollywood so thoughtfully responding to criticism that it woefully under- and misrepresents indigenous people!
Likely anticipating backlash, the studio has come up with this... interesting... excuse:
The world being created is multi-racial/international – and a very different character than previously imagined.
The studio took on an exhaustive search in finding the right girl to play Lily looking at other actresses such as Lupita Nyonog'o and "Blue is the Warmest Color" thesp Adele Exarchopoulos before going out to Mara for the role.
The movie will also star Garrett Hedlund (white person) and Hugh Jackman (white person). So, yeah, it kind of goes without saying, but a bunch of white people does not a "multi-racial/international" fictional world make. And rewriting a character as white in order to squash complaints that you didn't hire a Native American actor is pretty shitty. [Variety]
TMZ has an extremely blurry video of Rihanna and Drake walking around Manchester and holding hands, which they helpfully point out is "circumstantial banging proof." I think that's a term they teach you in law school. [TMZ]
Theo James, soon to be of massive Divergent fame, very eloquently described the mental process of preparing himself to be swarmed by rabid fans constantly in the near future: "Oh fuck." [GQ]
- Shaq spends $1000 a week on apps, which is a hugely impressive feat. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. [DListed]
- Elizabeth Olsen is maybe engaged, which would mean that Ashley is going to have to give so many (two) heartfelt wedding speeches in the near future. [Gossip Cop]
- Juan Pablo made a weird video tribute for his ex-girlfriend, which means that the weird video tribute he made for the poor woman who was left standing at the end of this year's Romance Hunger Games is not special. [Gossip Cop]
- Rob Lowe and Madonna almost hooked up one time, according to Rob Lowe's memoir; however, she was being so carefree and fun at da club that they lost each other. What a beautiful thing that would have been. [Page Six]
- BREAKING: Barbara Walters enjoys sex!!!!! THE WORLD REELS IN SHOCK AND DISBELIEF. [Page Six]
- Like a sexy/impractical knight, Kim Kardashian wore a chain mail crop top and pencil skirt. [ONTD]
- Aaron Paul loves his wife so much (a fact a learned from looking at his Instagram and crying). Yesterday, he said that he falls more in love with her every day and tells her that he loves her every day :') [People]
- Jenna Fischer took a v. badass pregnant bikini photo. [The Hollywood Gossip]
- The syntax of this headline is flawless: "Joan Rivers — Johnny Carson's Penis: I TOUCHED IT." [TMZ]