On Tuesday, TMZ reported that the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has declined to bring charges against Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter stemming from allegations that he raped singer Melissa Schuman in 2003, when she was 18. Law enforcement sources told TMZ the reason for the refusal to prosecute is that the statute of limitations for the alleged rape expired in 2013.
Schuman, once a member of the early aughts girl group Dream, confirmed to Entertainment Tonight that she’d filed the report in February with the Santa Monica Police Department, and tweeted about it at that time.
When the news broke on Tuesday of the DA’s decision not to press charges, Schuman released a statement in which she affirmed her choice to come forward with her story.
“My family and I were well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable due to the statute of limitations in California regarding rape which was modified in 2016. It is unfortunate that the law isn’t fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back. It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses. Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them.”
Carter has denied the accusations since they first surfaced, saying the sex was consensual. His attorney, Michael Holt, said that his client is “happy to put this matter behind him.”
Mark Wahlberg sleeps from 7:30 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. and spends his time doing little other than working out, snacking, and “cryo chamber recovery.” He has managed to make being famous sound incredibly inflexible and tiresome!
- Nicki Minaj and her mama sported matching hairstyles at fashion week. [People]
- RHONY star Sonja Morgan struck a few poses for Paper. [Daily Mail]
- Julia Roberts shut down her black nail polish haters with a “it is in fact a navy polish.” FACTS MATTER OK. [People]
- Ah yes the old “somebody started masturbating, so we all did” defense. [Page Six]
- Iggy Azalea is going on tour with CupcakKe. [Pitchfork]
- Some speculation as to the authenticity of comments Ashley Benson may have left on Cara Delevingne’s Instagram. [The Cut]