- Workout craze pilates isn't just for rich white women like Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Jessica Parker and Jennifer Aniston anymore! It's for rich, beefy white dudes too. [LA Times]
- As you may know, Oprah's school for girls in South Africa is being investigated for charges of sexual and physical abuse. Oprah says she is so sorry. You're gonna have to do better than that O! You haven't booked the audience for your "Favorite Things" episode yet — right??? [NY Daily News]
- Women who develop breast cancer are at no greater risk of having a more serious or lethal form of the disease if they smoke. Thank god, cause nothing would make us want a ciggie more. [MSNBC]
- Super fucking creepy. A woman who supposedly found a nanny job through Craigslist was murdered when she went to meet the poster. [KCTV5.com]
- The NY Times Magazine has an interesting story about adoptive parents who search for their child's birth mother. [NY Times]
- Argentina elected its first lady president, the current president's wife Cristina Fernández de Kirchner. What about Evita? [NY Times]
- Scientists are studying breast cancer through the translucent skin of the zebra fish to see how the disease grows. Nicole Kidman's milky complexion could probably work too. [Science Daily]
- Inter-sex females (i.e. hermaphrodites) do not, in most cases, absolutely need vaginal reconstruction - in most cases these women have shallow vaginas and testes that have not descended. Opting for surgery should be a choice, not necessity. [Science Daily]
- UK researchers have made a breakthrough in how infections cause infertility in cows would could lead to major conclusion in how to prevent infertility in women. [Science Daily]
@GoldHoops: You're not happy/gleeful so much as, like me, you are enjoying the smug bit of satisfaction you get from knowing that even the great and powerful Oprah with all of her multi-millions couldn't do what others on a smaller and less-publicized scale have been quietly doing for a very long time in disadvantaged parts of the world.
That said, let's hope she uses her multi-millions to make things right. These allegations, if true, are absolutely heart-breaking and should be punished with the full weight of the law.
While I cannot stand her I think, in this respect, Oprah's heart was totally in the right place even if she got caught up in making the school more of a posh spa-like place above reproach instead of a truly safe haven for poorer school-aged girls of South Africa.