- Despite Judge Elden Fox's ruling yesterday that Lindsay Lohan would remain in jail until her trial on October 22, the actress has been released after posting $300,000 bail. [TMZ]
- Judge Fox's ruling was reversed by Judge Patricia M. Schnegg, who agreed with Lohan's lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley, who argued that by law, Lohan was "entitled to bail." One of the conditions of said bail: she once again has to wear a SCRAM bracelet. [LATimes]
- American Idol's Crystal Bowersox is planning to get married to her boyfriend, Brian Walker.[People]
- In other marriage news: Johnny Knoxville and Naomi Nelson were married yesterday. [USWeekly]
- Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine says he doesn't really identify with today's pop scene: "I don't even know where the music comes from. I was just talking to my manager outside - I'm so disconnected. If you gave me the top ten artists right now in the country, I'd be like, 'Who are you?' I'm so dissociated from it," though he does like Lady Gaga: "I love what she does. I love the fact that she exists. It's almost like, finally there's a popstar who brings a little bit more weight to it... Her music is slightly off. That's awesome." [DigitalSpy]
- When a reporter asked Madonna and her daughter, Lourdes Leon, a question about Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore's alleged marital problems, Madonna's publicist, Liz Rosenberg, "slapped the microphone out of the reporter's hand. Madonna and Lola didn't bat an eye as the mike landed at their feet. The daughter is well- trained." [PageSix]
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand just bought a $2.7 million "crash pad" in New York City. [PageSix]
- And Katy says she's excited about her musical guest spot on SNL: "I'm hoping they will let me do a skit. I brought my whipped cream boobs, so if they do a sketch involving like a barista, you know, coffee making, I could be helping people out and stuff like that." [DigitalSpy]
- Edward Norton says he'd love to work with Christopher Nolan and has reportedly "hinted" that he'd be interested in playing The Riddler in the upcoming Batman film. "Chris Nolan's making the best ones out there by far. I'd do one with him - he's set a new bar for sure." [DigitalSpy]
- Ryan Reynolds says he'd like to work with Sandra Bullock again: "Me and Sandra have been friends for a long time and I'd love to make that happen. Look, there could be something in development, but there's no script yet." [DigitalSpy]
- "I don't have a fella, but if Allen [Ludden] — or Robert Redford — were around, we'd have a very active sex life. Does desire melt away with age? I'm waiting for the day to come."-Betty White [PageSix]
- The members of Radiohead aren't entirely thrilled with their new album so far, and might scrap the whole thing, according to Phil Selway: "You never know, we might get back together on Monday and after discussing stuff we might just throw this all out and say maybe we need to go back to the drawing board. Who knows, as I say, it's all up in the air at the moment." [ContactMusic]
- A source claims that Victoria Beckham is understandably stressed about the cheating allegations surrounding her husband, David, "She feels everyone is talking about her and whispering behind her back. She has even said she wants to come home. Considering the hooker has made everything up, Victoria sees it as extremely unfair. She's going through bouts of rage and feelings of humiliation." [DigitalSpy]
- Meanwhile, David Beckham is threatening to sue In Touch for running a "completely untrue and totally ridiculous" story. [ContactMusic]
- "I have done quite a few movies after 'Drumline.' It's just that they're all pretty bad and you've never seen them."-Nick Cannon [PageSix]
- Amy Poehler broke her toe while partying after the Emmy Awards: "We got a little wild, it was kind of crazy, so much fun. But I broke my little toe. Just picture this: three week old, first night out, Emmys, so excited, us all dancing on a... booth. I ran over to say hi to somebody and I hit my toe on the end of the table and I immediately leaned in and was like, 'Hey you guys, I broke my toe!' It's like 4am so I had to go to the airport the next day to fly back to my children, and I had a baseball cap on and I was walking like this (hobbling) and it was all... 'Whatever, that's how I roll!'" [DailyExpress]
So, first a judge sent her to jail for 30 days without bail. Then, a higher up judge said that was illegal for a misdemeanor violation and granted her bail and she was out.
In the meantime, a fact that most people have failed to notice is that the Department of Corrections has said they would boot her out after a 24 hour period no matter what.
Not because she's a celebrity - but because they are so broke and over crowded that they release all non violent drug violation offenders after 24 hours.
Now, how much do you think it cost the taxpayers of California for those two hearings today? How much did it cost the Department of Corrections?
How much will the additional hearings she has to have now cost California? How much will the random drug testing cost? How much will be spent on additional security in the courtroom?
How much do you think the State of California spends every day making non-celbrity drug users go through expensive court proceedings when everyone in the system knows they are going to be in and out of jail in a day?
What, exactly, is the State of California getting in return for spending all this money simply because some people like to get high?
Judges, probation officers, public defenders, bailiffs, correctional officers, etc.. aren't cheap.
It's all just such a pointless, stupid exercise.
But, hey, it's bad for Mexicans because it inflates drug prices and causes all sorts of turf wars where dark skinned people end up killing each other, so I guess it's all worth it.
After all, a 15 year old Mexican girl killed by a stray bullet in a drive by shooting caused by our stupid drug enforcement policies won't ever be able to sneak into our country to pick our fruit for us.
And, that's what really matters.