As a result of Chris Brown's recent hit-and-run charges (from an accident in May, in which Brown rear-ended another car and peaced out, allegedly without providing ID or insurance info), a judge has revoked his probation. Brown will face a probation violation hearing next month, and if that judge decides that he violated his probation, he could wind up in prison.
That was quick — the judge just REVOKED Chris Brown's probation in the Rihanna beating case, but the singer will remain a free man ... for now. Brown showed up at court today to fight the L.A. County D.A.'s motion to revoke his probation in the wake of hit-and-run charges stemming from a car accident in May ... but the judge granted the motion anyway, paving the way for a probation violation hearing in August. If the judge determines Chris violated his probation, the singer could be sentenced to 4 years in prison. In the meantime, Brown has been released on his own recognizance.
This morning, Olga Gure-Kovalenko (the woman whose car Brown hit), announced that she doesn't want to press charges and she doesn't want any settlement money, because the accident was actually NBD. So, that's whatever that is. [TMZ] [TMZ]
David Lynch loves Kanye and I love that David Lynch loves Kanye.
As for the music that fires Lynch’s imagination lately, he said, “You might be surprised. I love ‘Blood on the Leaves’ by Kanye West. I just love it. I love James Blake. I love ZZ Top’s new album — but you’d figure that. There’s a lot of great music out there. It’s all kind of inspiring.
I feel like I have two full-time jobs right now. 1) Feminist rage-tweeting, and 2) Reconciling my love of Kanye with my feminist rage-tweeting. Anyone else? Sigh. [LATimes]
Apparently, if you add up all the sweet cash Jennifer Lopez has earned performing for thuggish regimes and authoritarian dictators, her pop-music blood money totals more than $10 million. Most recently she played the Super Sweet Sixteen of Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov, the torture-happy ruler of Turkmenistan.
- In July 2011, Lopez was paid $1 million by Uzbek industrialist Azam Aslanov to perform at the wedding of his son
- In September 2012, Lopez was booked by officials in Azerbaijan to perform at a FIFA soccer tournament, and negotiated a contract for a music festival
- In October 2012, Lopez performed in Belarus, a dictatorship
- In November 2012, Lopez traveled to Russia to sing for Alexander Yolkin, a bureaucrat accused of corruption
Following Lopez's June 29 performance in Turkmenistan - in which she was paid a reported $1.5 million - her spokesman said she regretted the incident and had no knowledge of human-rights issues surrounding Berdymukhamedov, a repressive leader accused of imprisoning and torturing critics.
Okay, all of that is astonishingly shocking and shitty, but can I ask a semi-unrelated question real quick? WHY WOULD SOMEONE PAY $1.5 MILLION TO LISTEN TO JENNIFER LOPEZ'S MUSIC? Is that really a thing with fans? Now, if it was a live reenactment of The Back-Up Plan, I would understand. [NYP]
- Ava DuVernay is going to take over the Martin Luther King, Jr. biopic Selma, after Lee Daniels left the project for other ventures. Fuck yeah, female directors. [IndieWire]
- Michael B. Jordan (sort of) responds to Andrew Garfield's suggestion that he'd be the perfect dude to get gay with Spiderman:
No thoughts on that, but I am a fan of Andrew.
- Fine, whatever. But by the way, everyone, you know it doesn't actually make you gay to say that you're open to hypothetically playing a gay character, right? Couldn't you just be like, "Sure!" [Queerty]
- Bravo is going to re-air Cory Monteith's episode of Inside the Actor's Studio this Thursday.
During the episode, which originally aired April 9, 2012, host James Lipton asked Monteith a now poignant question: "If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?’"
"Cory’s God said, ‘Uh, sorry I haven't been around. There’s a good explanation.’ I certainly hope there is. We needed Cory’s gifts,” Lipton said during the episode.
- :( [THR]
- Randy Travis is "awake and alert" following his stroke. [People]
- The lady who supposedly had an affair with Lamar Odom went clubbing. [Radar]
- Here are Milla Jovovich and her husband holding each other's hands. [JustJared]
- Hahahahahahahahahahaaahaaahdhlfasijdflasdjfasdfsdhfksjdhf [Us]
- Why do I need ID to get ID?
Images via Getty.