My friend Liz IMed me regarding this recent New York Times story about Sarah Palin's background. "It makes me like Palin more," Liz wrote and then quoted from the interview. "The Heath family home is a cross between a natural history museum, science class, tackle shop and favorite grandparents’ house, where supper, on a recent evening, was orange juice and grilled cheese on china plates at the kitchen counter." She added, "It makes them sound normal and quirky."My first reaction was, Sarah Palin is dangerous and horrible and I don't want to think of her as normal and quirky! But then Liz quoted Anne Frank (“In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart") and I had to grudgingly admit that even when you disagree with someone very deeply, it's good for the soul to try to think of their positive qualities. In that spirit, I'd like to steal an idea from the Village Voice's Michael Musto, and ask you to come up with something nice to say about the dear Governor from Alaska. We'll start you off with a few compliments from the Jezebel staff and assorted friends to pave the way. Exclamation marks all around for extra positivity!
- She's pretty! And tall!
- Some people seem to like her!
- She seems to have a nice marriage!
- Her kids are cute! Particularly Trig and Piper!
- She is ambitious!
- She reminds me of Tina Fey!
- It is a rare politician that could parlay the mayorship of a town of 5,000 people in rural Alaska to a political appointment in a prominently Republican state, catapult him- or herself to the governor's seat and, before serving half his or her term in that position, find him- or herself the party's nominee for the Vice Presidency of the United States. That Sarah Palin has done so in less than 12 years is a fine testament to skills as a politician!
- She is good at juggling many responsibilities!
- She is gainfully employed!
- She has nice teeth! [Is someone aping Duncan Hunter? -Ed.]
Ok guys, now put on your nice girl panties and give it a whirl. We will return to your regularly scheduled bitchery soon enough. Let's Say Something Nice About Sarah Palin [The Village Voice] Related: Little-Noticed College Student to Star Politician [NY Times]