- A star is born? Halston has at last named its new creative director (and it's not Harvey Weinstein GF Georgina Chapman), Versace senior women's and men's designer Marco Zanini. Good luck, buddy. May the ghosts of Roy and Jackie O bless your journey. [WWD, sub req'd]
- Hermione Granger herself, actress Emma Watson, has been signed by really, really big-deal agency (they rep Kate Moss, yo) Storm — and now rumors are abuzz that she's about to become the next face of Chanel. [Vogue UK]
- Maybe we're just tired, but we literally cannot stop giggling aloud at the idea of the forthcoming Karl Lagerfeld: The Fragrance. Top notes of anorexia with an undertone of narcissim! [WWD, sub req'd]
- Former Cover Girl Josie Maran is taking her name somewhere else — to her own eponymous line of organic cosmetics. She thinks the products are really good blah blah...but they're not going to do any national advertising on them. So, uh, they can't be that good right? [WWD, sub req'd]
- Today's winner for using our (uh, we just decided) word of the day, re-branding!, is Lorac cosmetics! They're "re-branding" themselves as Lorac: The Red Carpet Authority and debuting a color palette developed with indie It Girl fashion line Miss Davenporte. [WWD, sub req'd]
- For the pageant girl in all of us, Freeze 24-7's newest product is sprayed on over makeup to prevent fine lines and wrinkles... and freezing on your pageant-perfect smile? [WWD, sub req'd]
- It's just like freshman year of college all over again! Animal testing is once again a hot issue as the EU's and the US's regulatory agencies try to find alternatives to current testing methods involving animals. The EU has developed 4 alternative tests (out of the 8 tests currently done on animals_, but the US only approved 2 of them. In the meantime, we continue to use our favorite make-up and look the other way. [WWD, sub req'd]
- Gucci designer Frida Giannini is now moving her rebel ways into fragrance, with this fall's Gucci by Gucci being the first fragrance she herself has developed since starting her tenure with the label. Her goal? For it to be the next Chanel No. 5. Don't underestimate yourself, Frida! [WWD, sub req'd]
- Smug central at L'Oreal HQ, surely, today: Their second quarter earnings are up by 10.4% [WWD, sub req'd]
- The performance being held to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of Gianni Versace's death is this Sunday night: "I can already see Gianni shaking the crystal chandelier and directing the ballet," says Donatella Versace. Aw! And we can already see our favorite tanorexic cutting the coke! [WWD, 3rd item]
- Lauren Goldstein Crowe decides that it is her blog that has directed the state of modelling regulation in Britain. Humble! Hey, is the URL "Solopsista" still available? [Portfolio, Inc.]
Chanel would be wise to nab La Watson — unlike a certain cocaine-addled Lagerfeld hanger-on (Lohan, natch) she's actually known for being a fairly stylish dame.
Also, I wouldn't put it below the Potter fangirls to become Chanel devotees just because Emma's representin'.