- Halle Berry was showing distorted pictures of herself during a taping of The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and said "Here's where I look like my Jewish cousin!" when displaying one in which her nose looked large. Although the segment aired, NBC dropped the audio of her saying "Jewish." Berry says "I so didn't mean to offend anybody." Halle knows about nose regrets. [Page Six]
- Jennifer Lopez racked up $16,000 in limousine charges while promoting her film El Cantante in July... and then disputed the bill, so it went unpaid. [Page Six]
- Leonardo DiCaprio is single again, having split with Israeli model Bar Refaeli. But what's weird is that Refaeli is now dating Kelly Slater, who dated Gisele Bundchen after DiCaprio did. WTF. [Page Six]
- Ryan Gosling was supposedly dropped by director Peter Jackson on the film The Lovely Bones because he cut his own hair and fought with wardrobe. We say give Ryan what he wants! [Page Six]
- The Hills star Heidi Montag shot her music video last week — with Spencer Pratt as the camera man. Classy! [TMZ]
- Amy Winehouse's live DVD comes available with a Double Trouble combo — an engraved pint glass and ashtray. Beehive not included, boo. [TMZ]
- Owen Wilson participated in a lawn-mower race for a Willie Nelson video shoot! He raced against brothers Luke and Andrew, as well as Jessica Simpson, Woody Harrelson and Dan Rather. We wanna see! [People]
- Melanie "Sporty Spice" Chisholm was reluctant to do the Spice Girls reunion because she suffered from depression and an eating disorder during her years with the group. "They basically said if I wanted to do it, great, but if I didn't want to do it then they were going to do it anyway," she says. Aw, sisterhood. [Telegraph]
- Kate Moss is selling the London mansion where she spent time with ex Pete Doherty... Too many memories? [Mirror]
- David Copperfield has canceled upcoming shows in Southeast Asia — but not because of his allegations of sexual misconduct, his lawyer says. The charges that Copperfield "forced himself" on an unidentified woman are false, his lawyer claims, "because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone." (Aside: This subject came up and Moe said, "If he is magic, can't he make 'No' 'Yes'?") [Showbuzz]
- Oprah flew to South Africa over the weekend to deal with the crisis of allegations of sexual misconduct at her school for girls. It was her second visit in ten days. [Times Of London]
- Mariah Carey's makeup artist waxed the singer's upper lip and chin — in front a studio audience at the CBS studios. Yes, there are pictures! [Daily Mail]
- Blind item! "Which major league athlete has been trying to sleep with all his former fiancee's celebrity friends since he broke up with the B-lister? But even Paris Hilton turned him down!" [Gatecrasher, last item]
- Jay-Z says that when he watched his retirement movie, Fade To Black recently, he was "embarrasssed. I couldn't watch. I had to turn it off. I was cringing." [Rush & Molloy, 2nd item]
With regard to Halle Barry's comment: It is not uncommon for a person in the public eye to attempt to 'establish' themselves as proud Semites, even in the guise of a disparaging comment. ('I am part Jewish, therefore ...') Witness Gwyneth Paltrow ("I am a sexy Jew"), Madonna (Juxtapose my name and the cultural imagery with my DESIRE to be perceived as a Jew) and even Hillary Clinton (maternal grandfather who was only supported and liked by ... you guessed it! Hillary!)It is, in short, a shameless attempt to ally themselves with Hollywood's power base, but it is transparent and wearying. For what it's worth, I am a Jew, too, and seriously doubt that many of these starlets are as steeped in Judaism as they would like to be perceived.
Also, sorry to buck the trend, but Halle's original nose looked pretty standard issue African American, to me. It sounds as though we are all trying to wound anyone we perceive to be on the other side of the fence. What gives? Whether it be African American, white girl or Jew nostrils, she can breathe through them, right?