Is the government still shut down? It is.
- Michelle Obama is the woman that Americans admire the most, according to Gallup. Her husband is the most admired man. [Gallup]
- In news about the man that is NOT the most admired man according to Gallup, Iraqi officials are now demanding the withdrawal of all American troops from their country after Trump’s surprise visit to a military base in Iraq. [Associated Press]
- Oops, Trump signing MAGA hats while meeting U.S. troops in Iraq maybe broke Defense Department guidelines. [CNN]
- Turns out Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen was in Prague in the summer of 2016 after all, backing up some key details in the Steele dossier on alleged collusion between Russia and Trump’s campaign. Still confused? Mother Jones breaks down what it means. [McClatchy/Mother Jones]
- Using the government shutdown as an excuse, the Justice Department asked a federal judge to delay deadlines related to a court case challenging the Trump administration’s move to bar people who cross the border at any point other than an official port of entry from seeking asylum. The judge said no. [CNN]
- The shutdown is also forcing some government employees to cancel their vacation plans. [ABC News]
- Guess how much we spent to lock up immigrants in private, for-profit prisons in 2018? Almost $1 billion. [Daily Beast]
- More people are watching MSNBC than Fox News for the first time in almost 20 years. [Politico]
- An update from my favorite story of 2018, on the small town of Fergus Falls, MN and the Der Spiegel reporter who made up some wild shit about the people of the town. [New York Times/Der Spiegel]
- Just some more internet billionaires being shady, this time LinkedIn’s Reid Hoffman. [Washington Post]
This has been Barf Bag.