A judge has declared a mistrial against Devar Hurd, Ashanti's longtime stalker, who was in court on charges of stalking, criminal contempt and harassment. Hurd has already served two years in prison on a prior stalking charge for harassing Ashanti's mother.
Hurd chose to represent himself in the trial, leading to a cross-examination of his own victim. The mistrial was declared after a key juror became too ill to come to court, according to the New York Daily News:
Devar Hurd, who unwisely represented himself in the case, will get a do-over because a female juror was too sick to come in on the second day of deliberations in Manhattan Supreme Court.
The juror was barely able to speak when Justice Daniel Conviser called her on speaker phone to ask about her condition.
"We were an hour away [from a verdict]," one juror tells the paper.
Adds another, "It's not like he said it didn't happen. Everything was black and white. It was all there."
Because of the mistrial, Ashanti—who claims Hurd's harassment of her began again immediately after he was released from prison—will once again have to face her stalker in court.
Ben McKenzie of Gotham and The O.C. would like you to know that he's REAL GOOD at sex stuff. Asked by Elle about what all of the women he's ever dated would say about him, McKenzie replied, "He's great in bed." LOOK, CHINO, that's really the sort of thing you have to let them say for themselves. [Elle]
After reading Stephen Collins' statement to People in which he confessed to and apologized for his history of sexually abusing children, one of his victims is in an understandably unforgiving mood. "Stephen is minimizing the incident. It was not just a spontaneous touching ... that aggression resulted in him ejaculating," says the victim, according to TMZ. She also does not believe his claim that he only victimized three children. [TMZ]
- Speaking of Stephen Collins (because in for a penny, in for a pound of assholes), the actor explained to Katie Couric that "most people are broken in some way." True—like how I'm often late to stuff and Stephen Collins molests kids. WE'RE ALL BROKEN, k? [Radar]
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden are officially engaged! [US Weekly]
- Bruce Jenner and Kris Jenner are officially divorced! [E!]
- Khloe Kardashian-Odom and Lamar Odom are officially...who knows! [Radar]
- Here's a really sweet story about Jamie Foxx going to karaoke with Whitney Houston and watching her serenade the room with "I Will Always Love You." [MTV]
- The HollywoodLife/Gossip Cop feud is HEATING UP. [Gossip Cop]
- Kanye West possibly spent $74,000 on Christmas presents for his daughter North because his life is dope and he does dope shit. [Dlisted]
- Your teen bride Harry Styles likes having girlfriends in the November and December because it means more holiday gifts, not because he's using them to cover up is true romance with One Direction bandmate Louis Tomlinson. [Cosmopolitan]
- Michael Bublé sang a duet with a baby. [Gossip Cop]
- The Fault in Our Stars' Ansel Elgort wants you to know that he likes girls, ok? GIRLS. GIRLS WITH BOOBS THAT FEEL LIKE BALLOONS FULL OF SAND. [MTV]
Photos via AP, Getty.