Robert Pattinson talked recently to French magazine Premiere about his upcoming role in David Cronenberg's movie Cosmopolis. In discussing his current acting work, he also managed to slyly imply that the Twilight movies sucked without outright biting the hand that's made him famous. Well played, RPatz.
The most direct remark came after being asked about the Cosmopolis trailer, which caused a lot of people to express their surprise that Pattinson can actually act. After Premiere said he was good in the Twilight movies, he replied:
In some scenes maybe… I tried anyway.. I'd like to ask a question to those people who think I just started acting well: What do you think I was doing in Twilight? Do they think it's how I act naturally? No, I had to take decisions as an actor. I find it funny when I read stuff like (He uses a dramatic voice) "Will Cosmopolis finally prove that he can act?" What does that even mean?
So basically he's saying if people had a problem with the movies, it wasn't because of his acting; it's because he was acting out a shitty script in a movie being made for teenagers. Fair enough. While he probably is a much better actor than people have given him credit for, he's still trying to sort it all out:
I'm going through a phase where I'm trying to determine what I can accomplish or not as an actor. It's even more complex when you know you have a past, even though people like David don't pay any attention to it.
Caprea’s Essential Organic PH Cleanser is just $10 with promo code TEN. Normally $19, this foaming face wash is crafted with organic Monoi oil. It’s meant to target the production of oil secretion while protecting your skin against air pollution. Normally $19, you can save big on this richly-lathering face wash while supporting a brand that keeps the environment top of mind.
A past... That sounds so tawdry. Will he ever be able to live down his turn as a mediocre vampire or will it haunt him for life? [E!, Crushable]
Rihanna has been living it up pretty intensely for a while now, and it seems to be taking its toll on her. First, she missed her dress rehearsal for Saturday Night Live last weekend after saying she was too sick to perform (even though she managed to pull it together for the show), and now it's being reported that she was rushed to the hospital on Monday night after the Met Gala. She was treated for "exhaustion" and "dehydration" before she was discharged and cleared to fly home to LA. She even tweeted a picture of her with an IV in her arm. Oh, boy. Sometimes it feels like we need a Mary Poppins figure that can swoop in and use songs and pretty umbrellas to get celebrities back in line when they've lost their way. [Radar, People]
And now for some very sad news: hairstyling legend Vidal Sassoon died today at the age of 84. Among other things, he invented the now ubiquitous bob haircut, and he started a little company that you might have heard of. He died of an unspecified disease at his home, surrounded by his family. RIP. [TMZ]
You will be relieved to know that Kim Kardashian has issued an official statement about President Obama's decision to support gay marriage:
Wow… I just heard that President Obama has officially announced that he supports gay marriage!! This is such a huge step forward in our country's fight for civil rights and I hope that today this will give hope to so many young people across the country.
We've never had a president so supportive of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and today I am proud to be an American!! I'm so happy that our country is making history and moving forward. No more living in the past!
Now that Kim has spoken we all know how to feel about this issue. Yay, America! [Celebuzz]
Britney Spears is officially in as a judge on The X Factor. She's signed the contract and everything, and she's even going to get a cool $15 million for her troubles. A source says, "She's ready for this. She can't wait to sit down next to Simon at the judges' table and give this everything she's got." Yeah, she better be giving upwards of 110 percent at all times for that kind of payout. [E!]
- Isabella Cruise, the 19-year-old daughter of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, had this to say about her relationship with her mother: "I love mom. She's my mom. She's great. I see her sometimes and I speak to her." Wow, sounds like there aren't too many mother-daughter mani-pedis on the horizon for these two. [Us]
- Lady Gaga rocked a giant multi-colored ponytail while walking through the Narita airport in Japan. As usual, she puts those of us who travel in yoga pants and sweatshirts to shame. [E!]
- Kate Middleton hung out in the woods with some young scouts as part of a volunteer gig. She also brought her puppy Lupo, and the two took a cuddle break on a tree stump. Naturally, there was a camera right there to capture the moment in all of its candid glory. [People]
- Because John Edwards is nothing if not crafty, he consulted with all his Hollywood pals on the wording of the statement he issued acknowledging his love child. So who did he call upon? It's quite a random crew, including Sean Penn, Madeleine Stowe, and director Paul Haggis. I am choosing to believe that Penn gave Edwards an impassioned lecture and Stowe gave him her best scheming advice in the voice of Victoria Grayson. [People]
- @JessicaBiel is now on Twitter. #omg [E!]
- Here is Peter Dinklage looking pensive on the cover of Rolling Stone. You're welcome. [Facebook]
- Listen, a lot has been happening in the world today, but now that I've heard this news it's all I can think about: TLC has announced it will air two new episodes of Virgin Diaries this summer! Let's all start cringing in anticipation. [Broadway World]
- The Brown Family is back and talking about the new season of Sister Wives. Apparently they're not going to add a fifth wife anytime soon because Kody is "maxed out." [Radar]