Actress Ellen Barkin got into a bit of a tangle with the NYPD on New Year's Eve. She was walking in her Manhattan neighborhood with her boyfriend, Sam Levinson, when she says the cops were arresting people who weren't doing anything illegal. She saw one girl who she says was getting randomly arrested and tried to intervene. At that point, Barkin said on Twitter, one of the officers pushed her:
Just threatened on my street by NYPD, cop shoved me, both hands, onto sidewalk..Is it a crime 2 stand in the street in NY? WTF is going on here?
Well, it does seem like the NYPD wouldn't take kindly to someone telling them who they should and shouldn't be arresting, but here's the video that Levinson shot of Barkin going off. It's very hard to tell what is happening and if this is the same part of the evening that Barkin referenced as shoving. Whatever happened, it got her very worked up. She tweeted a few more angry sentiments, including this:
I have never been afraid of a NY policeman until last nite. What I saw was random & senseless arrests and unnecessarily threatening behavior.
The NYPD hasn't given any comment. One thing's for sure, she's just as foul-mouthed in person as she is on Twitter! [E! Online]
- Lindsay Lohan started out 2012 with a bit of an unwelcome surprise. No, she didn't get in trouble for any crazy party antics, but she might have a new stalker. She was at home minding her business when a strange older man knocked on the door of her house. She asked what he wanted, and he gave a cryptic answer about needing to speak to her. She asked him to leave, but he wouldn't. She got spooked and called the cops, who showed up and arrested him for trespassing. Here's hoping the rest of the year is as police-free as possible for LiLo. [TMZ]
- And now, for your first Babeyoncé update of 2012: there's still no baby. A still-pregnant Beyoncé joined Jay-Z on New Year's Eve for dinner at a lovely restaurant called Buttermilk Channel in Brooklyn. So, the endless wait for news of our coming savior continues. [Food Republic]
- Justin Bieber made a song with Jaden Smith and gave it to his fans for New Year's Eve. It's very cleverly titled "Happy New Year," and he tweeted out the track just before midnight. It sounds a little muzak-y to my ancient ears, but it probably contains some secret pitch that activates the cells of people under the age of 18 and causes them to blindly follow whatever instructions their Belieder issues. [HuffPo]
- Depending on what you read, Katy Perry is either sad mess or totally fine following the announcement of her split from Russell Brand. On the one hand, she's been reported to be heartbroken and calling Rihanna as her "shoulder to cry on." A mysterious source says, "Katy is hardly speaking to anyone right now, but she called Rihanna as soon as she heard Russell was filing for divorce." Rihanna apparently invited Katy to use her house in Barbados to get away from everything.
- But then there are also reports that a very happy Katy spent New Year's Eve partying in L.A. She hung out with friends in a private room with friends and even flirted with a long-haired mystery man. What if the long-haired mystery man was actually Russell Brand, and this whole divorce thing was just an insanely elaborate and well-orchestrated prank on the entire world? [The Sun, News.com.au]
- Just when you think you've read every kind of crazy celebrity gossip there is to read, a sentence like this comes along: "Clint Eastwood has become obsessed with a squirrel called Lola and leaves his office door open so she can come in when he is around." This story seems to have been pulled from thin air, but on the other hand, why on earth would anyone bother to make it up? Either way, I like the idea of Clint having a little squirrel buddy, so let's hope it's true. [Contact Music]
- President Obama and family wrapped up their vacation in Hawaii yesterday by visiting an anthropological exhibit that featured the work of Stanley Ann Dunham, the president's late mother. That genuinely sounds like it must have been very nice for them. They also visited the grave of Obama's grandfather. Spinning this outing into something that makes Obama look like a lazy elitist and/or socialist will be tricky for the Republicans, but I have full faith that they can find a way. [USA Today]
- Prince William and Kate Middleton rang in their first new year as husband and wife in a teepee! The tent was put up in the backyard of Kate's parents home for a party thrown by Pippa, party-planner extraordinaire. Naturally. [People]
- Oprah's new show on OWN, Oprah's Next Chapter, premiered last night. She held hands with Steven Tyler and asked him how it was possible that he was still alive. Did you watch it? Did it change yoooooour LIIIIIIIIIIIFE? (Sorry, but doing the Oprah yell never gets old.) [EW]
- Speaking of Steven Tyler, he's finally officially confirmed that he and Erin Brady are engaged. [TMZ]
- If you care to see what the engagement ring John Legend gave Chrissy Teigen looks like, feast your eyes on this. [Us]
- Hope Kirstie Alley has some comfortable shoes because she's pledged to spend the first 100 days of 2012 dancing. She's launching a program called "100 Days of Dance," which is meant to help people lose weight by dancing. She's doing it, she says, because she wants "everyone to experience some version of Dancing with the Stars." [People]
- For those of you who keep extensive handwritten records of celebrity relationships, you'll want to make a note that Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis are back in New York after spending the holidays together in Kansas, and they're still dating. [Extra TV]