- Actor Djimon Hounsou is the new face of Calvin Klein underwear for men and took "months" at the gym to prepare for his photo shoot. One of the flagship billboards is being erected around the corner from our apartment. [Fans self]. [WWD, sub req'd]
- Gisele Bundchen is in talks with Bono to star in U2's next music video, which is almost as admirable as being in talks with Bono to personally eradicate poverty. [Vogue UK]
- Yves Saint Laurent was released from the hospital with a mild case of hypochondria. [Vogue UK]
- Abercrombie & Fitch is expanding its European presence with the opening of stores in Denmark and Sweden. We assume they'll have better luck with the class-action, race-discrimination suits in Scandinavia. [WSJ, sub req'd]
- Fucking tsunamis! If it weren't for them and, uh, terrorism, people would actually want to buy new clothes for Christmas. Or something. [WWD, sub req'd]
- Quote of the day: "The problem is that today, everyone wants to be a handbag designer and wants to touch some kind of reptile." Spoken by one bitter Carlos Falchi, accessories designer we've never heard of, on being cornered out of his market by snake-loving girls with whom we are not friends. [WWD, sub req'd]
- The family Beckham isn't the only thing coming to America from across the Atlantic. Today we learn we are getting a visit from D&G jewels. Which may be only nominally classier. [WWD, sub req'd]
- More news from abroad: France's First Lady Cecilia Sarkozy is apparently a quick study. After causing a national outrage for wearing Prada to her husband's inauguration (An Italian designer! On a French woman! Mon dieu!!) Mercifully, she stuck with Dior for official Bastille Day festivities. [WWD, 3rd item]
- Louis Vuitton is commissioning an art exhibit for its Champs-Elysees flagship store titled "Moscopolis," featuring 11 Russian artists who are creating pieces to invoke Moscow. Memo to Japanese tourists: Book your flight today! [WWD, final item]
- No more fur for Guess! We care because we totally shop there. [WWD, sub req'd]
- The ballet-memorial for Gianni Versace commenced last night with Donatella Versace saying that she coud not "think of a better way to mark this anniversary." Except for maybe sixty lines of coke and six hours at the tanning booth. That would probably be better. [Vogue UK]
- In designing jewelry for the royals, one day you may be in, and the next day you may be out. Auf weidersehen, Garrard. Queen Elizabeth will no longer be needing your services. [Portfolio]
Djimon Hounsou can fuck anyone he wants to and still come knocking on my door!
I mean, I hate to admit that Blood Diamond was a killer hunk-flick (being that it's all about the evils of the diamond trade and consumption-funded terrorism...kinda like everything else, huh?), but if he can make Leo (rar!) look like a little lamb, I'll take what I can get!