- Britney Spears lost custody of her kids because she didn't meet with a drug counselor, submit to drug testing or enroll in parenting classes — all things the judge overseeing her custody battle with Kevin Federline had ordered. Is it possible that she'd be relieved not to have primary custody? [TMZ]
- By the way, Britney finally applied for a California driver's license. For the love of Zeus, let's hope she passes the written test! [People]
- The new issue of Vanity Fair claims that Lou Perlman — the man who created *NSync and the Backstreet Boys — was a pedophile and a sleazeball who had inappropriate contact with boy band members, including Nick Carter. Wonder if Timberlake was spared? [Page Six]
- Derek Jeter is dating actress Gabrielle Union? First of all, In Touch said she was dating Ludacris. Second: Does she know about the herp? [Page Six]
- "Something is definitely going on" between Cameron Diaz and newly divorced actor Bradley Cooper. He's hot, so we hope so, for her sake. [Page Six]
- Kimora Lee Simmons threw husband Russell Simmons a surprise 50th birthday party! Russell brought a date named Porschia Coleman; Kimora brought boyfriend Djimon Hounsou. How very modern! [Gatecrasher]
- Blind item! "Which famous tennis player is teased by her friends for 'being such a white girl' because of her fondness for the works of Miss Cyndi Lauper?" [Gatecrasher, last item]
- Sienna Miller and BFF Rhys Ifans got matching swallow tattoos in Dublin yesterday. And you know how Kate Moss says Sienna copies her? Well, Kate has a tattoo of that bird as well. LOL! [The Sun]
- Pete Doherty's court date was pushed back. Again. [Telegraph]
- Bono is redeveloping an old hotel in Dublin, but a critic says he's demolishing a historic structure. Potayto, potahto. [Telegraph]
- Pink and Carey Hart: Still together. She was seen giving him a lap dance while singing karaoke in Venice Beach, CA. [Splash News]
Resident Britney Apologist (tm) weighing in here.
Even I can't defend her anymore. If she can't stay off the sauce for 48 hours, then she deserves this. And I believe in a mother's right to have an occasional drink. Sure, the anti-mom hate that she inspires comes from a place of sexism and ignorance. But that doesn't excuse her actions.
And props to Nancy Grace for continuing her crusade against the anti-mom hysteria. She was in rare form last night, calling bullshit on Fat Tony, and suggesting that Britney's lawyers suggested the custody transfer, so that she could take care of herself, an angle that the blogosphere doesn't seem to think is sensational enough to print, based on what I trolled today. Nancy suggested that losing the children is not a punishment but rather a way for Britney to take care of herself and be that mom she wants to be.