Where’s an ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper when you need one?
- After a 20-year informal moratorium on executing people who have received the death penalty in the federal court system, the Department of Justice announced that the Trump administration will resume the state practice of killing people. Per the order of Attorney General William Barr, the Bureau of Prisons is preparing to execute five people on death row. [Washington Post]
- Representative Ilhan Omar wrote a very good piece for the New York Times. Here’s just a snippet: “Throughout our history, racist language has been used to turn American against American in order to benefit the wealthy elite. Every time Mr. Trump attacks refugees is a time that could be spent discussing the president’s unwillingness to raise the federal minimum wage for up to 33 million Americans. Every racist attack on four members of Congress is a moment he doesn’t have to address why his choice for labor secretary has spent his career defending Wall Street banks and Walmart at the expense of workers. When he is launching attacks on the free press, he isn’t talking about why his Environmental Protection Agency just refused to ban a pesticide linked to brain damage in children.” [New York Times]
- House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Nadler wants to begin impeachment proceedings against Donald Trump; Nancy Pelosi does not. How will this dramedy end? [Politico]
- A federal judge has blocked yet another of the Trump administration’s asylum restrictions: this time, it’s the policy denying people asylum if they traveled through another country before arriving in the U.S. [Associated Press]
- Sometimes, we are blessed. [New York Times]
- After two weeks of protests calling for him to step down, Puerto Rico’s Governor Ricardo Rosselló announced he will resign on August 2. [NBC News]
- Totally fine, nothing to see here. [CNN]
- Nate-on-Nate violence; you hate to see it!
This has been Barf Bag.