Nail polish remover: It doesn’t just smell like the ninth circle of hell on a particularly bad day, but it’s also highly flammable. Most people learn this the easy way by not leaving the remover near a candle or stove, but one woman must have not read the instructions on the bottle and her bottle of nail polish remover went up in a terrifying blaze.

ABC 7 reports that an unnamed woman in Cypress, Texas, was just having a fun night in when she left her nail polish remover unattended near a candle. And then something only you read about in chemistry class happened:

The fumes from the nail polish remover created a vapor cloud that ignited from the flame of the nearby candle, according to fire department officials.

Rasa said the fire caused minimal damage in the room but was large enough to ignite the woman’s clothing and cause third-degree burns on 50 percent of her body.

The authorities have not made any statement about the woman’s condition, but ABC reminds anyone reading the story that it takes approximately two minutes for flame and vapor to mix and create a flash fire, which is terrifying. Even more terrifying? The flame and the nail polish remover never even have to touch. I got a D in Chemistry, so I don’t know how any of this actually works, but I am going to close the cap on everything I use from now on, because there is nothing I like more than a scented candle.


Contact the author at mark.shrayber@jezebel.com.

Click here to view this kinja-labs.com embed.