- A psychology researcher from the University of Wales Institute recently conducted a study on what women want and shockingly, it's not younger men. After examining 22,400 ads on dating websites, he concluded that women really want older men.
"I do believe the cougar phenomenon is a myth and, yes, a media construct," said Dunn. However, self-identified cougars—and other pro-cougar entrepreneurs, like Rich Gosse of CougarEvents.com—aren't thrilled with his findings. Weirdly, in the whole pro/anti cougar debate, the cougar defenders come out as slightly more feminist than the detractors.
- A Roman Catholic adoption charity has been refused the right to discriminate against gay and lesbian couples. Catholic Care attempted to get exemption from recently passed anti-discrimination laws in the UK, but a judge ruled that the charity's religious views did not justify their continued discrimination.
- A 40-year-old American pleaded guilty on Wednesday to one count of traveling with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct. Douglas Perlitz was the founder of Project Pierre Toussaint, a school for boys in Cap-Haiten, Haiti. According to court documents, Perlitz "abused his position of authority and entice and persuade minors to comply with the sex acts by providing the promise of food and shelter."
- James Auchincloss, half brother of Jackie O, has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and three years of probation after he pleaded guilty on Wednesday to charges of possessing child pornography.
- Officials have recalled some 380 million eggs after hundreds of people came down with salmonella. The company Wright Country Egg of Galt, Iowa has been linked to the outbreak, and investigators are currently looking into restaurants throughout the US.
- Bad news: Americans are getting dumber. According to a new poll, the percentage of U.S. respondents who believe Barack Obama is a Muslim has risen to 18, up from 11 in 2009. A separate poll, conducted on Monday and Tuesday by Time Magazine found that 24% of respondents think Obama is a follower of Islam.
- A new dress code has forbidden members of the London police force from wearing revealing underwear, including g-strings or anything that might be visible while in uniform. Several officers responded with a loud what the hell?.
- Today in No Shit Studies: Swedish researchers have found that couples without children have a lower quality of life after undergoing fertility treatment than couples that successfully conceived through treatment.
- If you want to quit smoking—or drinking, or overeating, or any other bad habits—the worst thing you can do is try to just ignore your cravings, according to British scientists. When we try not to think about something, it's much more likely that we will obsess, and give in.