The woman who served as Sherri Shepherd and Larry Sally's surrogate says their bitter breakup has resulted in her being sought for child support payments.
I know—your response right now is "WHAT?" This is absolutely baffling but according to Jessica Bartholomew, this is indeed what she's being forced to go through. In 2013, Sheperd announced that she and her husband Sally were going using a surrogate to have a new baby. Bartholomew, a waitress from California, was the surrogate who was chosen.
Shepherd reportedly wanted to use her egg and Sally's sperm, but according to TMZ, the baby was conceived without her egg. Then, before the birth of the baby in August, Sally and Shepherd split. Their divorce proceedings have been absolutely vicious, even by Hollywood divorce standards. One of the biggest revelations was that Shepherd backed out of the surrogate agreement altogether, claiming Sally was using the surrogate baby as a way to get money out of her in the form of child support. Sally, who has had custody of the baby since he was born, has since sued his ex for alimony and child support.
So where does that leave Bartholomew? According to an interview she gave to Inside Edition (via Madame Noire) she is now being pursued for child support.
Bartholomew explains that although she was connected with the couple through a surrogate agency, she is listed on the child's birth certificate as a "noncustodial parent." Because of this, she says that she is also being pursued for child support. Apparently, Sally applied for Medi-Cal, which is a state program that provides free or low-cost health insurance, to assist with medical costs relating to a health condition plaguing the infant. This resulted in the state of California going after Bartholomew for child support.
Bartholomew, who was paid about $30,000 to serve as the surrogate, puts the blame squarely on Shepherd for backing out of the surrogacy agreement:
"I could not believe this is happening. When I decided to do this for them, I didn't think ever that this could happen. I just don't understand how she could do that and act like this baby is non-existent. It just blows my mind....I'm angry at Sherri because she never once contacted me to tell me what was happening. She would call and check up on me during the pregnancy in the beginning. At the 20 week appointment she seemed so excited."
Watch a clip of Bartholomew's interview below
My boyfriend Tom Hiddleston didn't already begin filming on Thor 3. This is just a #TBT picture from the makeup artist for Thor 2. Either way, do I care? No. This is just an excuse to post this picture.
- In his continuing effort to clean up his name and prove to the world he is not a disgusting bad boy anymore, Justin Bieber posted a photo of himself pooping. Or something. [Gossip Cop]
- In this sad interview clip, Kevin Costner says the only sequel he wants to do is for The Bodyguard, only if it could mean having a way to bring Whitney Houston back. Aw. [YouTube]
- Sean Penn is almost as full of shit as Russell Crowe (I said almost). In this interview with Esquire, he says his marriage to Charlize Theron wouldn't really be his third, it would be his first. Ahh, I see that's true if you use Complete Bullshit Logic. [Esquire]
- Stanley Tucci welcomed his new babeh into the world in classic Tuccian fashion. [People]
- Empire dominates everything. This is the best show of 2015. Are y'all watching? I CANNOT STOP WATCHING. [USA Today]
- Amber Rose and Nick Cannon were photographed together therefor they are hot sex lovers now. [OK]
- If you squint you can almost make out the first pictures of Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs. We are all too weirdly excited about this movie. Trust me, they are probably not going to show his penis in this one. [SlashFilm]
- Bethanny Frankel returned to Real Housewives of New York because she need the money, honey! [Radar]
- In Aging Entertainers News That No One Cares About Except Rebecca Rose News, Engelbert Humperdinck and Merle Haggard are both currently on tour (separately). I strongly recommend checking both of them out if you have the chance and if Merle doesn't do "Swinging Doors" DEMAND ALL THE REFUNDS. [Kansas City, Greensboro News and Record]
I can't believe this is my last Dirt Bag. The time. How it does fly. See you guys on Sunday night! Until then, here's Steve Martin hosting the Tonight Show in 1978 with guest Burt Reynolds. (Burt appears around 3:30)
Image via Getty.