Recently, a tipster alerted us to a curious decision by the 56-year-old resort wear purveyor Lilly Pulitzer: one of their new prints, as it appears in the above spring look book, is named “Lolita.” How youthful! We are curious about how this idea came to fruition.
The intense frenzy surrounding the new, blink-and-you-missed-it-because-the-girls-have-been-lined-up-since-dawn Lilly Pulitzer diffusion line at Target has caused many people to wonder: How can such a vibrant, rabid market (and after-market) exist for such phenomenally boring and showily tasteless shift dresses?
This morning Target launched its collaboration with whimsical print queen, Lilly Pulitzer. And unsurprisingly, it turned into a epic shit show because affordable Lilly Pulitzer is something that a certain kind of Southern woman dreams about a night.
Whether that's a good or bad thing, only you can decide. (Please note the green juice as prop.)
After an initial burst of enthusiasm, Target's Lilly Pulitzer capsule collection has already taken one ride on the backlash merry-go-round, for the fact that it'll include plus-sizes but banish them to the website. Now, here comes another question—can the brand's snobbiest fans STAND IT?
As reported earlier today, Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau died Sunday morning. She was 81.
"The 77-year-old designer and former grande dame of Palm Beach entertaining—in the Sixties and Seventies, her kitchen sat 26 for dinner—awaits guests perched on a chinoiserie-covered bench. She wears white slacks and a vintage Lilly shirt printed with white and yellow daisies, her feet bare but for the bright coral…
- Designers like Donna Karan, Elie Tahari and Thakoon are fighting to get to Michelle Obama. [WWD]
- Even though her Narciso Rodriguez dress drew mixed reviews. [NY Times]
- According to polls, 65% considered it a "Don't." [USA Today]
- Proenza Schouler’s Jack McCollough on the election. “A shout-out to the gays? I mean, never,…
- "Rumor has it" that Madonna-maybe-estranged-hubby Guy Ritchie is gifting the material 50-year-old with "a specially designed, bespoke diamond necklace from Bulgari worth, £250,000" for her Golden tomorrow. [ElleUK]
- Apparently Diddy's "I Am King" campaign will involve Bond-like shots of him in a dinner jacket hanging…
- "Of course I am a Spice Girls fan. I love everything that teenage girls love. I am the oldest teenage girl." That's Michael Kors, who went to see the Spice Girls when they performed in the New York area this week. Other fashion world luminaries who showed up the concert to hear such sonic gems as "Two become One": …
- Kate Moss is out as the face (and body) of lingerie line Agent Provocateur. Why, you ask? Because the company's co-owner Serena Rees had an affair with Moss's friend's husband. [Vogue UK]
- Poor Sadie Frost. The ex-Mrs. Jude Law's clothing line FrostFrench (co-designed with friend Jemima French) isn't doing so well…