It was around 26° last night when the amfAR New York Gala kicked off Fall 2013 Fashion Week. For some attendees, it was important to be somewhat weather-appropriate. Other folks just went right ahead and wore sheer dresses and showed plenty of skin, hypothermia (and good taste) be damned.
Was there a dress code? Or do stars just hear "CHANEL Tribeca Film Festival Artists Dinner" and assume through long practice that it's an occasion for black and white?Julia Restoin-Roitfeld has chic in her genes. And, um, her clothes. Naomi Watts pulls off this kinda-mod, kinda-90s sheath. Whether she can sit…
When it comes to fashion week, it doesn't get much more serious than Paris. And that goes double for the A-list front rows.
The French Vogue 90th Anniversary Party was a star-studded, high-fashion, My Fair Lady-style masquerade. And in the immortal words of Liz Lemon, we want to go to there.
- Annabelle Neilsen, on Alexander McQueen: "He was loved by so many, but felt loved by so few." A Scottish pipe band played at McQueen's memorial service, and Björk performed in a winged dress made of molded wood and feathers.
Who showed up for the "90 years of Vogue covers" party at Hotel Crillon in Paris last night? Lara Stone! Julia Restoin-Roitfeld! Anna Wintour! And, of course, Lindsay Lohan!
- Nicolas Ghesquière picked the intolerably cool Charlotte Gainsbourg to advertise Balenciaga's perfume. Ghesquière calls his friend "one of the most inspiring girls in the world." Gainsbourg said, "I was secretly hoping to be the face of Nicolas' first perfume." [WWD]
- Freida Pinto and Evangeline Lilly are new faces of L'Oreal. To mark the occasion, Lilly said she's proud "to represent a brand whose ambition is to...contribute to the fulfilment [sic] and well-being of everyone." [PRNewswire]
So, what exactly was the dress code at last night's 2009 American Museum of Natural History's Museum dance? Some stars — Milla, Alba — looked flawlessly glam. Others wore robot costumes. I'm confused!
Ever had to dress one way on the weekend and another way at work? And maybe a third way for socializing? Does your mind reel at the complexity? W feels your pain. (Not really.)
- Sam Ronson is mad at the animal-rights protester who threw flour on LiLo's fur stole! Blogged the DJ, "the girl who threw [the flour] acted like an animal herself...I take that back, it's an insult to animals to group her in with them, my dog is FAR more civilized than that person." [ElleUK]
- Meanwhile, Natalie…
- Mini moguls Mary Kate and Ashley are dipping their tiny feet into the world of fashionable footwear. They're teaming up with Steve Madden to add a shoe line to their Elizabeth and James label. [ElleUK]
- Weirdly, model Twiggy's husband calls her Twiggy too. [Daily Express]
- Moddles fall all over the runway on Prada's…
- Is Gossip Girl pretty boy Chace Crawford set to replace McDreamy as the face of Versace? [Perez Hilton]
- Fashion slang seems to have no regard for a word's actual meaning: "Designer Ashleigh Verrier said her favorite fashion word was "diaphanous" — an adjective characterizing fineness of texture. 'As in, 'That dress is…