So. Jil Sander is selling a brown paper bag. It is made of coated paper, with brown stitching on the sides. It differs from your average lunch sack in that it has a Jil Sander logo on one side — and it costs $290.
"Raf Simonsto leave Jil Sander. Show on Saturday to be his last." So Tweeted New York Times critic Cathy Horyn this morning at 8:53. By 9:04, the official statement was out and Horyn's post was up: Simons, the popular and critically acclaimed Jil Sander designer would leave the house on Monday, just after presenting…
- Nicki Minaj is on the cover of V, looking like a sort of Keith Haring painting come to life. She's so wild, that Nicki Minaj! And lest you think there's some crafty behind-the-scenes Svengali calling the stylistic shots, Minaj says:
- SJP on Carrie's style influence: "I've never revealed as much or been so daring or made quite as many triumphant mistakes as Carrie. But I'm now bolder than I would have been had I never played this part." [People]
- Whitney Port isn't in Kell On Earth. And on Lauren Conrad: "We still keep in touch on a friendship level. But in terms of fashion we don't really talk about it anymore because we're not in the same arena." [PopEater]
- Emma Watson is doing a clothing line with ethical fashion company People Tree. We're still waiting for Mischa Barton's collection, Tree People. [Guardian]
- A rare, left-handed Michael Jackson glove — the one the star wore when he unveiled his moonwalk at Motown's 25th anniversary in 1983 — is to be auctioned in November at the Hard Rock Café in Times Square. [CTV]
- Nicolas Ghesquière picked the intolerably cool Charlotte Gainsbourg to advertise Balenciaga's perfume. Ghesquière calls his friend "one of the most inspiring girls in the world." Gainsbourg said, "I was secretly hoping to be the face of Nicolas' first perfume." [WWD]
- Michael Jackson's entire family — including the kids — reportedly wore Versace to his memorial service yesterday. The singer was a longtime admirer of Gianni Versace's work, and LaToya Jackson contacted Donatella Versace to arrange for the custom outfits. [InStyle]
Everyone has a theory about what the recession will "mean" for fashion. Wanna hear often correct New York Times critic Cathy Horyn's? Oh yes you do!
- Kanye West and Amber Rose hit up the American Apparel in NoHo for hoodies and sunglasses. "He was really nice about getting his photo taken for our blog," said the store manager. Doesn't he look it! [AmApp]