Be thankful if you still have a job: After the hell year that was 2009, a lot of fashion people don't. Many designers were fired, some were hired, and plenty lost their businesses altogether. An overview of the tumult: »
- Apparently Thierry Mugler's doing Beyonce's tour costumes. This could go in one of two directions. [Style.com]
- Diddy: “I’m only about five minutes late because I was running around and spraying people." We think he's talking about his new "I Am King" fragrance — a monarch's gotta mark his territory! [WWD]
- Let's… »
- Apparently emboldened by last week's success in Milan, Bruno — aka Sacha Baron Cohen — crashed Stella McCartney today. "With his red thong clearly visible above his jeans, the comedian — who was virtually unrecognisable in a flamboyant leather gilet, with his slicked-down hair dyed blonde and brown — sucked Tampax,… »
- Between expanding his "empire," hosting Mad Men parties, judging Project Runway, and, presumably, tanning, Michael Kors is guesting on Gossip Girl. "I love the clothes, everyone is good-looking, the plot line is a riot," Kors says. "I love the show. They called and said, 'You are very Gossip Girl.' I thought,… »
- Oh sweet Jesus: There are reports that Victoria Beckham will serve as the stylist on Tom Cruise's new movie, The Hardy Boys. [Fashionista]
- It's confirmed: The all-black Italian Vogue cover shot by Steven Meisel is a go and Jordan Dunn is set to star. [Vogue UK]
- Claire Danes: The new face of Gucci jewelry. Says… »
- Oh look! It's Melanie Griffith and her 17-year-old daughter Dakota, who is a model, entirely on her own merit. Oh what? You would rather have nepotism in charge of some less-influential realm of the public sphere? Hey, look who's on TV talking about the troop surge! So the scandal here is: does Dakota's modeling… »
- Anna Wintour claims she is very concerned about how "pale and thin" the models look nowadays. Don't worry, Anna, next to you they look vibrant and full of color! [WWD, 4th item]
- Here's your public service announcement of the day: The ingredient 1,4-Dioxane, which is found in many organic beauty and cleaning… »
Last night's challenge on Project Runway was the most insane thing ever. And not insane in a "make-a-dress-out-of-corn-husks" sort of way. Nope, reaching a brand new plateau of wacky, this week the designers were introduced to the "divas" of the WWE and asked to design them new wrestling costumes. Initial reaction:… »
- Further proof that there may really be a ELLE curse: WWD reports that actress Michelle Williams had already been shot for the April cover of the ladymag, but asked to have it and a related story pulled after the death of Heath Ledger. She's since been replaced with Natalie Portman. [WWD, 1st item]
- Eva Mendes is the… »
Last night in New York, Old Navy had a big ol' party to celebrate the retailer's "new look," which is supposedly super fashion-forward. (Does this mean no more drawstring shorts?) A terrifingly-dressed Natasha Bedingfield headlined the event, and also in attendance were Ugly Betty's Becki Newton (above left), and… »
- Lindsay Lohan may be strapped for cash — she reportedly shopped around staged Thanksgiving photos with of herself with mom Dina, sister Ali, brothers and boyfriend Riley Giles to the celeb weeklies. The asking price started in the six figures, but dropped to $20,000. Also, does she get paid to be seen shopping at… »
Last night I joined forces with our dear Slut Machine to go and root for our very own Nikola Tamindzic at Paper magazine's annual Nightlife Awards. Darling Nikola was up for Nightlife Photographer of the Year! He lost, not because he isn't the best (he is) but because the whole thing was clearly rigged: That nasty-ass… »
The Heatherette fashion show was really more like a party with a parade in the middle. Plus, some of the most interesting outfits were on the guests! Things kicked off with a performance by Lil' Mama and then the models — black girls! a plus-sized girl! fey boys and hunks! kids! a tranny and a porn star! — charged the… »
Who: Assorted drag queens (seen at left).
What: The Spring/Summer '08 show for Heatherette, the line by former club kids Richie Rich and Traver Rains known for its bright, shredded, bedazzled, fucked-up separates and dresses.
Where: NYC's Gotham Hall.
When: Now. After the jump, we check in with Dodai, who is being… »