Last night, fashion designers and celebrities convened at the 29th Annual Fashion Group International Night Of Stars. The FGI is a global, non-profit, professional organization with a mission to be the pre-eminent authority on the business of fashion and design. But all we really want to know is: What did everyone wear
Cristóbal Balenciaga, the elder statesman of the avant-garde, Spanish Civil War refugee, designer mentor to Hubert de Givenchy and André Courrèges, died in 1972. But a new exhibit of some of his best work sheds light on his complicated life.
- Christy Turlington says, "There's nothing rewarding about modeling. It was a fun opportunity that allowed me to see the world but spiritually and intellectually there is nothing rewarding about the profession at all."
The Cinema Society Screening of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse at Crosby Street Hotel took place on a muggy, gross night. And just looking at the stars' weird fashion choices made us feel hot. Not in the sexy way.
It's summer, which means Vogue has launched their annual "escape" issue. What, you didn't know that June was all about fleeing the scene, peeing in your wetsuit, and choosing your own desert adventure?
Ralph Lauren is getting the French Legion of Honor, presumably for 30+ years of creating WASP mythology. And he's sticking with what works: this was a classic RL collection, jodhpurs, florals and all!
- "I'm just happy to have someone who wants to talk to me [about fashion]," says Victoria in LOVE. "Normally, David's like, ‘Stop it, I don't want to talk about clothes anymore! I want to talk about motorbikes and tattoos." [WWD]
- For a limited time, Lindsay Lohan will donate 100% of the proceeds from her "Fame" leggings to Haiti, via Save the Children. The leggings are on sale. Is she trying to move old stock by appealing to people's charity? [People]
You know it's fab when you see Anna Wintour and the Olsens. And that it's bizarre when you see Johnny Depp, Patti Smith, and Danny DeVito. "The Museum of Modern Art Film Benefit: A Tribute To Tim Burton" was both.
- Rumors are flying that Lindsay Lohan is donating her time (except for any free clothes she snags) as Emanuel Ungaro's new "artistic director." This gossip item, however, doesn't spell "Emanuel Ungaro" correctly, so its veracity may be questionable. [Fox 411]
Who showed up for the "90 years of Vogue covers" party at Hotel Crillon in Paris last night? Lara Stone! Julia Restoin-Roitfeld! Anna Wintour! And, of course, Lindsay Lohan!
As you know, Vogue styled singer Adele for the Grammy awards. The accompanying story (in the "Shape" issue, of course) is online, and it's interesting how the fashion mag deals with the plus-sized beauty:
- "Of course I am a Spice Girls fan. I love everything that teenage girls love. I am the oldest teenage girl." That's Michael Kors, who went to see the Spice Girls when they performed in the New York area this week. Other fashion world luminaries who showed up the concert to hear such sonic gems as "Two become One": …