Very military-chic, if that's a thing. It is now. It was menswear, writ large for ladies — oversized jackets, giant belt buckles, and patent leather boots with chunky heels. Still, it was far from shapeless, and lots of the separates look extremely wearable. As in, get on my body right now.
Well, there's one person who's not on board with plus-sized models getting shot by V, French Elle, and French Vogue, and walking for designers like Jean-Paul Gaultier and Mark Fast. Illustrator/photographer/blogger Garance Doré thinks body diversity is "not physically healthy."
- The details of Fashion's Night Out — aka Anna Wintour's Plan To Save Retail — have been announced. Over 700 stores in all five boroughs will be participating in events that range from sewing circles to cook-ins to rock shows:
- Michelle Obama wore Michael Kors to celebrate the National Design Awards winners on Friday. "What I love about design is the artistic and scientific complexity that becomes useful," said the first lady, to a crowd that included Francisco Costa. [WWD]
- Michelle Obama may have skipped the CFDAs, but she'll celebrate the National Design Awards at the White House on July 24. The winners, chosen by the Smithsonian and including Francisco Costa, will participate in events around Washington. [WWD]
- Confirmed: Madonna will do the Louis Vuitton fall campaign. With Jesus Luz? I imagine LVMH execs did a pro/con weighing the headline value against the risk that Madge would dump her boytoy ere September. [Grazia]
- Punk queen Vivienne Westwood is releasing her first album! Well, sort of. "Conceptualised, compiled and art-directed by the designer personally, the album - which is being released by Mercury Records - features 16 of the favourite songs of fashion's grande dame, which, in typical Westwood style, are anything but…
- Sean Combs wants to work on a fashion line with David Beckham. But he can't. Because Becks is already working on a sneaker line with Snoop Dogg! [Fashionista]
- Diddy also harasses mom-and-pop cufflink site "Cuff Daddy" for name infringement. Busy man! [TMZ]
- Memories of fashion icon YSL. [NY Times]
- Console yourself by…
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) just announced the nominees for its annual awards (think: the Oscars of the fashion industry), and, as reported earlier, Marc Jacobs nabbed a prestigious Womenswear Designer of the Year nod. But considering the fact that his peers spent the past year harping on him…