Ordinarily, one man's efforts to promote his movie wouldn't make for headline news, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt interview on NPR this morning was so frank and intelligent that it definitely bears mentioning. Don Jon, JGL's debut film as a director, opened this weekend. The movie's about how one porn-addicted, New Jersey bro breaks his reliance on moneyshot clips with the help of a wise, middle-aged woman's magic vagina. It's not just about porn, though, because, as JGL points out, basically all forms of media are pornographic in the sense that they're tools for exhibitionism and rampant objectification.
When asked about his movie's focus on porn, JGL told NPR,
Honestly I wouldn't limit it to pornography. I pay a lot of attention to media in general. And I think I wanted to make pornography sort of central in the movie to compare the rest of our media to it. I think that there's not a substantial difference between a lot of main-stream culture and pornography. They're equally simplistic, reductionist.
- Katy Perry believes that she's eventually going to turn into Joni Mitchell, probably with the help of some sort of highly experimental Face/Off procedure. [Billboard]
- Hey, Lady Gaga-themed magic eight ball — did you and Rihanna secretly collaborate on ARTPOP? "Well, no, that's not true. But, I mean, it's a rumor, I guess. I mean, I like Rihanna. Rihanna's wonderful, and I always like hanging out with her when I see her." [HuffPo]
- Pippa Middleton kisses with her eyes open, like a fish. [Daily Mail]S
- One Direction's Louis Tomlinson fell down and was embarrassed. [Daily Star]
- George Clooney tricked Sandra Bullock into jumping into a pool alone, which ruined her dress and made her realize that George Clooney is kind of an assbag. [People]
- The Pitt-Jolie brood went to a surf shop because that's how cool they are. [E!]
- Hilary Duff turned 26 and millennials everywhere felt their lumbar discs slip further out of alignment. [E!]
- The universe has answered your pleas: Neil Patrick Harris will direct a magic show. [Newsday]
- According to completely unbiased sources embedded in the Tatum household, Channing Tatum is the world's best father. [NDTV Movies]
- Josh Duhamel, meanwhile, is just a sycophant "obsessed with" his son Axl. [People]
- According to the photo on People's website, Daryl Hannah owns a pig. It is chubby and adorable. I'd like to think its name is Sir Percy Blakeney, but I doubt I'm right about that. [People]
Image via AP, Charles Sykes