Terry Richardson shot a pantsless Lena Dunham for V. The second season of Girls premieres on January 13. [V]
Meanwhile, the Times thinks the show "authentically" represents how young, post-college women working in cultural industries in New York City dress:
Where "Sex and the City" created a high-end designer-driven fantasy, "Girls" strives above all else for authenticity. "We were really concerned about realism, verisimilitude," Ms. Dunham said, adding that Jenni Konner, an executive producer, "is always there at my costume fittings to say, ‘That fits a little too well.' "
"She's always calling out the potential for any TV-matchy-cutesy-ness," Ms. Dunham said.
Key to this ethos, Ms. Konner said, is "never having things that are beyond what these girls can afford." The show's most polished looks come from designers like Theory and Tibi, and the decidedly un-Carrie Bradshaw Ann Taylor. Characters also wear some clothes repeatedly.
- Sales during the month of December were surprisingly slow for most retailers. Although Macy's and Gap Inc. managed to post positive results — same-store year-on-year sales increases of 4.1% and 5%, respectively — many other major retailers saw disappointing results in the crucial holiday period. Target, for example, had flat sales and Wet Seal's same-store sales were down by 9.7%. [WWD]
- Speaking of Target, its two-way collaboration with Neiman Marcus and designers from the Council of Fashion Designers of America was kind of a bust. (You can now find much of the collection of apparel and homewares — oh happy day — on clearance.) The main reason was simple: it was just too expensive. $100 for a girl's dress, $80 for a serving platter, $500 for a bicycle — that's just too much money for most of us. [Time]
- Gap Inc. just acquired Intermix, the 32-unit boutique chain, for $130 million. [WWD]
- Valentino celebrated New Year's at his chalet in Gstaad, but he played Madonna music so loud and so late that the neighbors complained and the police got involved. Our only question, and it is an important one, is which album? [P6]
- Pendleton is launching a collection of "updated classics" for men and women, like blazers with suede elbow patches and jackets in the company's traditional wool jacquards. It will wholesale for $40-$214. [WWD]
- Lily Cole is reportedly dating Twitter founder Jack Dorsey. [P6]