There were respectful, emotional responses from myriad celebrities about the events at Sandy Hook Elementary yesterday, and there was the one on country singer and singing competition judge Blake Shelton's Twitter.
You should know that this is also a guy who once bragged about killing a turtle with his car and cutely riffed on beating up gay people (although he claims both of those "were jokes.") This was definitively not a joke; earlier this year, Shelton took part in the NRA Country/ACM Celebrity Shootout, where he was vocal about his full support of the Second Amendment. Although the tweet has since been deleted, CBS News saved a copy.
Shelton since responded to a disgusted Twitter user and acknowledged that his wording may have been, well, piss-poor:
But I actually think the wording was fine. He said exactly what he meant. Christ. [HuffPo]
- The premiere of Tom Cruise action vehicle Jack Reacher is being postponed out of respect to the Connecticut shooting. [HuffPo]
- In lighter news, Matt Damon on the pervasive rumors that he and Ben Affleck are secretly a gay couple: "I never denied those rumors because I was offended and didn't want to offend my friends who were gay, as if being gay were some kind of fucking disease. It put me in a weird position in that sense." And on Liberace biopic Behind The Candelabra: "We both [Damon and Michael Douglas] have a lot of gay friends, and we were not going to screw this up or bullshit it." He's such a mensch. [NYDN]
- WHAT: Lindsay Lohan may be for hire for appearances at weddings and bat mitzvahs. Sooo much better than giving your newlywed friends a juicer. [CTV News.ca]
- Hugh Grant confirms that he was indeed an asswipe on The Daily Show. [Newser]
- Cher and Cyndi Lauper join the cabal of celebrities calling for stricter gun control laws. [Contact Music]
- Christina Milian says that Chris Brown and Karrueche Tran are still together despite Breezy's reunion with Rihanna. [Bossip]
- Simon Cowell
will be meeting with Rihanna around Christmastime to discuss her joining either the UK or US X-Factor as a judge. [The Sun]
- Some creep trespassed onto Taylor Swift's property, claiming that he knew her and was there to surprise her for her 23rd birthday. [Rolling Stone]
- Jennifer Lopez looked "frumpy" (synonym: comfortable) in Australia. [News.com.au]
- Oliver Stone once told Jamie Foxx that he couldn't act. Oh, Jamie. Just remember that Oliver Stone directed World Trade Center. [HuffPo]