Jada Pinkett Smith used Facebook to perform an awesome smackdown on people who have been trolling the parental implications of the ever-changing short hairstyle of 12-year-old Willow Smith:
"The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair, first the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don't belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain... It's also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother's deepest insecurities, hopes and desires."
When Will Smith was asked a similar question in May by Parade Magazine, his response was equally wise: "If I teach her that I'm in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she's going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world." Be my parents, Smiths! [NYDN]
American Idol judge has Nicki Minaj accused Idol judges panel alum Steven Tyler of being a big old racist after he said the following about her judging style: "These kids, they just got out of a car from the Midwest somewhere and they're in New York City, they're scared to death; you're not going to get the best [out of them]... If it was Bob Dylan, Nicki Minaj would have had him sent to the cornfield! Whereas, if it was Bob Dylan with us, we would have brought the best of him out, as we did with Phillip Phillips. Just saying."
"Steven Tyler said I would have sent Bob Dylan to a cornfield???" Minaj Tweeted. "I understand you really wanted to keep your job but take that up with the producers. I haven't done anything to you. That's a racist comment."
This continued for a few more Tweets, e.g.:
You assume that I wouldn't have liked Bob Dylan??? why? black? rapper? what? go fuck yourself and worry about yourself babe.
— Nicki Minaj (@NICKIMINAJ) November 26, 2012
The Brangelina brood really wants Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to get married already, says Pitt. "I will admit we have had some pressure from our kids. We didn't realise how much it means to them, and in getting engaged, we didn't realize how much it means to ourselves." Although no concrete plans have been made yet, he says that they're "making great strides" in planning the wedding, which means they've at least decided that we are totally not invited. [Entertainmentwise]
Criminally underrated character actress Judy Greer has some nice things to say about her even more obscure Broadway co-star, this woman named Katie Holmes, perhaps you've heard of her? "I've just been impressed by her work ethic... and her ability... to juggle being an awesome mom. I mean, she's always like, ‘I went to Suri's class this morning, I was reading to the first-graders.' And I'm like, ‘I can barely schedule in a workout and getting to rehearsal, and I'm just here by myself in an apartment.'" [Page Six]
And the Holmes family is very glad that Katie is no longer under the spell of Tom Cruise/Hollyweird/Xenu and can chill and eat turkey like a normal human being again. [Radar Online]
- Gabriel Aubry went to court to try to lift the ban on seeing his daughter Nahla. [TMZ]
- Mötley Crüe drummer Nikki Sixx is engaged to the future Mrs. Courtney Sixx. [TMZ]
- Lenny Kravitz has been cast as Marvin Gaye in an upcoming biopic. [EW]
- Mitch Winehouse put a stop to a Danish theater production about his daughter Amy. [THR]
- Rihanna's been especially flaky professionally since Chris Brown came back in the picture. [NYDN]
- In case there's been any confusion: Andrew W.K. isn't a cultural ambassador and isn't going to Bahrain. You're very welcome. [ABC News]
- Eep, yet another lawsuit may be around the bend for Kevin Clash. [E!]
- Ashlee Simpson and her boyfriend, Boardwalk Empire actor Vincent Piazza, broke up. [Page Six]
- So did Shia LaBeouf and Karolyn Pho. [Us Weekly]
- But love still exists because, lookit, this is a picture of a vaguely Gaga-styled Scarlett Johansson with her new boyfriend Romain Dauriac. [Us Weekly]
- Katy Perry and John Mayer might live in sin in L.A. [The Sun]
- One Direction frets that they're not cool enough to duet with Jay-Z. One Direction is correct. [Hollywood Life]
- People are pissed at Jamie Foxx for calling President Obama "our Lord and savior" at the Soul Train Awards. [Examiner]
- Charlize Theron, hero, is now a buzz-cut brunette. [Us Weekly]
- Amanda Bynes has reappeared on Twitter clad in the fur coat-and-turban combo of an aging heiress in the early 1980s. [Us Weekly]
- Kourtney Kardashian didn't want to sit near Kim's ex Reggie Bush and his pregnant girlfriend at a restaurant. Life is haaaaarrrrrd. [Page Six]
- Demi Moore's daughers urge her to get over Ashmi. [Radar Online]
- Buy Sam's piano from Casablanca do it do it dooooo it. [Yahoo News]