Here's what we know about The Paperboy, the film that just debuted at the Cannes Film Festival:
- It's directed by Lee Daniels, who directed Precious.
- Zac Efron and Matthew McConaughey star as two brothers investigating the case of a death row inmate.
- Nicole Kidman plays a woman sexually fixated on said death row inmate (played by Jon Cusack).
- Efron's character develops a crush on Kidman.
- Daniels, as a director, sort of developed a crush on Efron, shooting him dancing in the rain in tighty-whities. According to Kyle Buchanan at Vulture, Efron dodged questions about how it felt being so "determinedly eroticized."
Daniels wasn't one to mince words. "Eroticized? Eroticized?" he shouted. "He's good-looking! The camera can't help but love him. And I'm gay!"
- No, really, Lee Daniels is swooning for Zefron:
Zac Efron, he is hungry. That is the best way to describe Zac. He is hungry and eager. He really gave it to me, man. He brought it home for me.
- Kidman's character has a scene in which she finally meets the death row prisoner, and it involves her "spreading her legs, tearing her pantyhose, and arriving at a loud, hands-free orgasm." There are other people in the room.
- Daniels says of Kidman: "We got Nicole all cheaped up and some two dollar makeup and some beat up pumps… It was a sexy experience."
- Nicole was very enthusiastic about getting trashy:
In an early conversation with Daniels, he kidded that she was going to have to do her own hair and makeup. In response, she did herself up with a fake tan, a platinum wig and other accessories. "I took a photo and I texted it to Lee, kind of all different provocative positions. What he sent back, which I cannot say because it's so…" She paused. "It was like, 'thumbs up.' "
- At some point, Kidman's character and Efron's character go to the beach. He swims. He is attacked by a jellyfish. Kyle Buchanan writes:
Nicole Kidman looms over a supine Zac Efron, cries out, "If anyone's gonna pee on him, it's gonna be me," and then squirts an impressive stream of urine onto the High School Musical star's face and bare chest.
He adds: "And yes, you get a close-up of the stream." Sold!
When Nicole Kidman Gave Zac Efron a Golden Shower at Cannes [Vulture]
Cannes 2012: 'Paperboy' Director Lee Daniels on His 'Precious' Follow-Up and Why Zac Efron Is 'Hungry' (Q&A) [THR]
Lee Daniels Delivers ‘The Paperboy' to Cannes 2012 [Speakeasy]
The Paperboy delivers superb performances [Vancouver Sun]
Image via Reel Movie Nation