Isabeli Fontana and Rohan Marley are planning a wedding in Ethiopia, where Rastafarianism — or at least Haile Selassie — was born. "Rohan told me we have to return to the roots so the marriage will last forever," says the model. Fontana and Marley have been dating since October; the former football player, coffee entrepreneur, and son-of-Bob-Marley's personal life is, to say the least, complicated. It's not clear whether he ever divorced his first wife, Geraldine Khawly, but during his 15-year relationship with Lauryn Hill, Hill referred to Marley as her husband. (Maybe not in the legal sense?) Hill and Marley have five children together, and broke up last year just before Hill bore a sixth by another man. Fontana and Marley started Tweeting about their relationship during the last days of Hill's pregnancy. Fontana, meanwhile, who recently hit headlines after H&M darkened her skin for its swimwear ads, has been married twice and has one child from each marriage. Interestingly, both Rohan and Fontana have sons named Zion. The couple has not set a date. Fontana's mother told the Brazilian magazine Veja, "I think everything is happening too fast but everything has a different rhythm with Isabeli." Suggested nicknames for the impulsive couple: Martana, Isahan, Robeli, Fontarley, Marsabel. [CM]
Gisele Bündchen's sand-spackled ass stars on the cover of the new Vogue Paris. [@VogueParis ]
Ban Ki-Moon is on the cover of L'Uomo Vogue . The issue is dedicated to African development. "All the pictures are made in a glamorous way — there is nothing sad, trashy or poor," says editor Franca Sozzani. "People may say that Vogue does not want to talk about sickness and poverty, but if we can give an uplifting image, it is helping people who would not have considered Africa at all." [IHT ]
Here is Daphne Guinness singing Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" at Arlene's Grocery with the band Element 4. [YouTube ]
She also did "Because The Night." [YouTube ]
"I wish I had practiced more than once!" Tweeted the heiress, who has classical training as a singer but never pursued the career. [@TheRealDaphne ]
Think your cat has the potential to be a model? Or at least the ability to sit still while wearing clothes? United Bamboo is doing another kitty fashion calendar, and is holding a cat-model casting in New York. [Fashionista ]
Like this Peter Lindbergh photo of Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, and Linda Evangelista posing as Brooklyn gangsters in 1990? It's up for auction in London this week and could be yours for an estimated £15,000-20,000. [Facebook ]
Alber Elbaz, on the forthcoming Lanvin coffee-table book: "I thought that at a time like now, when the whole industry is about the six minutes of the show and a review that is being written in a taxi because then there is the next one, I thought, I'm going to show everyone how much effort goes into making a single dress. I wanted to show how many threads you have to put together to make one rose; how much thought goes into a button. I wanted to show a shoe in the factory in Italy being held like a baby by an old man and then attached to a machine as if it was going to the dentist. I wanted to show the jewellery. And I wanted to show the people. All the people. We had 3,000 pictures in total and we picked the ones we liked, of course, and then we went back to make sure that every single person involved is in the book, that nobody had been missed out." [Grazia UK ]
Fashionista noticed that Kim Kardashian has been dressing much more soberly since she and Kanye started dating. [Fashionista ]
Chanel's cruise collection included models strolling through the gardens of Versailles in mini-crinis, pantaloons, and other Marie Antoinette-inspired get-ups, along with creeper shoes and candy-colored wigs. Karl Lagerfeld calls it, "Coco rock, not rococo." M.I.A.'s "Bad Girls" was the soundtrack. [WWD ]
- Brazilian transsexual model Lea T. did a swimwear show, which reportedly was her first job since undergoing sex reassignment surgery. Last year, Lea told the press that while she knew it was ultimately more important for trans visibility that trans people be seen in public life and the white-collar professions, she still felt lucky to be able to give a positive image of her community by modeling:
"Maybe a young transsexual, maybe a 20 years old transsexual, she can see — she open the magazine and she see, 'Oh, she's a transexual!' I know it's much more important, say, this transsexual become a doctor, or this transsexual become, a serious, important — but this maybe make her feel more comfortable for just a few seconds. I really want to say I am transsexual. It is the most important thing."
- Abercrombie & Fitch more than doubled the total compensation of its C.E.O., Michael Jeffries — but it still managed to cut his pay. Abercrombie's performance has been somewhat lackluster over the past few years, so while Jeffries' compensation technically rose from 2010 to 2011 from $23.2 million to $48.1 million, most of that increase is in stock options that he can only claim if he remains with the company. His actual salary remained unchanged at $1.5 million, and his cash bonus fell by 49% to $1.9 million. [WWD]
- Brooklyn Decker says she knows her acting needs work. "I'm still studying to get better. And it goes without saying that I have a lot of room for improvement. And that's what I'm trying to do now," she says. The prosthetic belly she had to wear for What To Expect When You're Expecting helped her get into character. "As you strap that belly on, you start protecting your belly, you don't want people to run into you and you start to waddle," she says. "It's funny seeing yourself waddle." [THR]
- Speaking of models and (nonfictional) pregnancies, Sasha Pivovarova gave birth to a baby girl this weekend. She Tweeted, "Today is my first day celebrating mother's day as a mommy! Happy mother's day to all mothers around the world" [@vovarova]
- Giancarlo Giammetti threw Valentino Garavani a surprise 80th birthday party in Miami. [P6]
- Liz Claiborne Inc. will officially become known as Fifth & Pacific Companies today when the stock ticker changes over to FNP. [WWD]
- To celebrate 10 years in the perfume business — during which time Glow and its various descendants have grossed around $2 billion at retail — Jennifer Lopez held a party with her licensee, Coty, and launched yet another scent, Glowing. "When I was around 13 years old I worked in a perfume store and learned about what made fragrance great," says Lopez. "Music and scent, it's all about the same thing. It's about creating memories and the soundtrack — the essence — of your life." And wealth. [Elle]
- Fairchild Fashion Media, the parent company of Style.com and Women's Wear Daily, among other properties, has just acquired Fashion Networks International, which owns the blog network NowManifest. BryanBoy's blog, Anna Dello Russo's blog, Elin Kling's blog, Rumi Neely's blog, Industrie magazine's Web site, and Derek Blasberg's blog are all part of NowManifest. No terms of the deal were disclosed. [WWD]
- Saks Fifth Avenue's net income rose 13% year-on-year to $32.1 million during the quarter just ended. [WWD]
- Net profits at Salvatore Ferragamo, meanwhile, rose 10.2%, to $22.2 million. [WWD]
- And now, a moment with Alber Elbaz. Alber, it must have been hard to get fired from Yves Saint Laurent when you had been the designer's hand-picked successor?
"Of course it was hard. There were times that I wondered whether I would ever be able to work in this business again. I was embarrassed to go out to fashion places, embarrassed to call people because I thought they would never call back."