From the outside, she looked like a healthy, happy young girl, but it turns out Modern Family's Sarah Hyland has been battling a serious kidney disease since she was nine years old. After years of being in pain and suffering fatigue, she finally underwent a secret kidney transplant last month, and she's now opening up about her medical drama.
The 21-year-old told Seventeen that she suffers from something called kidney dysplasia, which left her in a great deal of pain. Still, since she was five years old, she's managed the impressive feat of being a working actress. She says she found ways of accommodating her ill-health on the set of Modern Family.
If you're sick you still go to work and in between takes you sit down or you lay your head down or something. I try to make it so that Haley's always sitting down. If you notice she's sitting down a lot, texting, or like leaning on something, texting.
Oh, man, what a trouper. She had to wait until her condition got bad enough to be eligible for a transplant, and once that happened her father, Edward James Hyland, gave her one of his kidneys. Of his contribution, she exclaimed, "You know that family is always going to be there for you—no matter what. My dad gave me a freaking kidney!" Indeed. She also credits her boyfriend, actor Matt Prokop, with helping her through her recovery in early April. Fortunately, she's on the mend now, and the show is on hiatus so she has plenty of time to get back into good health. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery and gets to do a lot more scenes where she's standing up from now on. [Us, LA Times]
Motherhood alone is probably bringing plenty of joy to Jessica Simpson, but it's got to be even more fun since she's making a mint off of it. Not only is she launching her own maternity line, she's also just sold the first pics of baby Maxwell to People for a cool $850,000. That's a pretty sweet payout for only nine months of work. Plus, you know, a lifetime of having to care for another human being. [E!]
Josh Hutcherson's nose looked totally normal to us, but apparently somewhere along the line he broke it, and it needed fixing. Hence, his appearance today with a big bandage under his nostrils. He tweeted, "Just had surgery to fix my broken nose." Did he actually have a nose job? Eh, probably not. If he was having hush-hush plastic surgery disguised as broken-nose repair, he probably wouldn't be tweeting about it. Plus, his nose would surely be a lot more banged up than it is. [People]
Never content to just sit back and let his millions roll in, Jay-Z has added yet another project to his list. He's just announced he's holding a two-day music festival in Philly this summer. It will be held over Labor Day weekend, and it has the very charming name of the "Budweiser Made in America" festival. How…patriotic? It will have three stages and about 30 acts "that embody the American spirit," whatever that means. Looks like it's time to buy a ticket to Philly and break out your American flag short shorts. [AP]
John Travolta's massage-related woes continue to grow. A steward on Royal Caribbean cruise lines says that Travolta once asked him for a neck massage—which the steward reported to the company since it was in violation of their policies. But he's now saying that Travolta also, "told him he was a beautiful person and invited him to return to visit him later that night." In addition, he says the rumored rub-happy actor "opened his robe and gave him a big hug while his penis was erect ... and offered him $12,000 for sex and silence." As per usual, Travolta's lawyer says it's a bunch of lies. [TMZ]
- It looks like Kanye is going all-in in terms of aligning himself with the Kardashian klan. Kim revealed that he will be appearing, at least a little bit, on Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Plus, he recently attended Kourtney's baby shower, so you know Kimye's love is legit. [E!]
- Speaking of Kim Kardashian, here she is wearing a short wig and looking frighteningly similar to her mommy dearest, Kris Jenner. [People]
- What did you do this weekend? If you answered something other than "spent time at a polo match with Prince Harry, Kate Middleton, Prince William, and their dog," then you messed up big-time. (J/K, I'm sure you had a perfectly lovely weekend, even if no royals were involved.) [E!]
- It's been announced that Glee's fourth season will feature a "show within a show" that stars Sarah Jessica Parker and Kate Hudson. They're gonna need all the big name guest stars they can get, since it seems so many of the show's regular cast members are heading out the door. [THR]
- After months of speculation, Britney Spears and Demi Lovato were officially presented as the new X Factor judges today. Both Spears and Lovato said they were excited, but Deadline misspelled it in both instances, so it became, "I'm so exited about this whole experience," from Spears, and Lovato said, "I'm exited to represent my generation." Let's hope this is just an honest mistake and not some secret code to indicate they'll both be exiting the show after a single season or something. I don't think we can take another endless round of rumored hirings and firings. [Deadline]
- As for our beloved 30 Rock, it has officially been confirmed that it's ending after this season. You'd better start preparing your brains now for a Liz Lemon-less world. What a bleak, bleak place it will be.[E!]
- For those of you holding off on kids because you're worried it will destroy your body, Jessica Alba is reporting that she feels sexier now that she's a mom than she ever did before having children. [iVillage]
- Joel McHale has spoken about the possibility that Dan Harmon won't be running the next season of Community. He said, "It would be very weird. He created the show, so it would be very weird. Obviously, I don't know what is happening." Well, one thing McHale does know is that he'll for sure be back. So we can all breathe a sigh of relief there. [E!]
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. Seriously, they are dating. [Us]
- In famous baby news, Simon Helberg, of Big Bang Theory and his wife Jocelyn Towne welcomed their new daughter Adeline into the world on May 8th. [Us]
- It's official: Kate Gosselin's fame ship is sinking. Her celebrity cruise, which was scheduled for August, has been cancelled because nobody was buying tickets. Sigh. [CDaN]
- Setting a new standard for oddest thing to do during labor, Pregnant in Heels star Rosie Pope live-tweeted the entire delivery of her newest daughter on Mother's Day. Once she got to the pushing stage, she handing tweeting duties off to her husband Daron, who made the official announcement. [Digital Spy]
- Sad news: Mitchell Guist, star of Swamp People, died today after suffering an apparent seizure on his boat. [HuffPo]