January Jones gave birth to her son Xander just six weeks before she began shooting the latest season of Mad Men. As you might imagine parenting a newborn and working long days on set took their toll on her. Fortunately, she has a secret weapon to fight exhaustion: pills made from her own placenta. Whaa?
Yes, that's right. Jones told People she fought the tiredness by taking good care of herself: "I have a great doula who makes sure I'm eating well, with vitamins and teas, and with placenta capsulation." In case you're not familiar with the process of swallowing your own afterbirth, it's not nearly as unappetizing as it sounds. Jones explains how it works: "Your placenta gets dehydrated and made into vitamins. It's something I was very hesitant about, but we're the only mammals who don't ingest our own placentas." Well, we don't eat a lot of things that most mammals would devour happily. Still, placenta-eating is a growing trend for new mothers. January says she takes a capsule every day and extra if she's feeling tired or down, and she likes it: "It's not witch-crafty or anything! I suggest it to all moms!" So, there you have it.
There's also a bit more of a sneak peek into what Season Five will bring. January's pregnancy did force her to miss part of the filming and that means we'll be seeing less of Betty Francis. (Oh, who are we kidding, she will always be Betty Draper.) Weiner said, "Yeah, she's not in it that much, but you know, that's biological reality." Ugh, reality bites. We'll have to see just how much we miss Betty. Who knows? We might be too busy panicking about Don's new wife or cooing over Joan's baby to even notice that Betty isn't around. [People, HuffPo]
It's official: Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott are a baby-making machine. She announced today that she's pregnant with baby number four. It seems like just a few months ago that she had just given birth to her third child, Hattie, and was dressing her up like a turkey. Oh, wait, that's because it was only a few months ago—five months ago to be precise. The genius thing about having the babies so close together is that the gossip magazines didn't even suspect she might be pregnant and weren't hounding her about a possible baby bump like they were with her last pregnancy. Well done, Tori and Dean.[Us]
Here we all were, thinking Angelina Jolie spent her days sitting on the couch reading celebrity gossip on her iPad while her children ran circles around her. But it turns out that is not the case. Huh, who would have guessed? Anyway, because she is too busy being an actress-director-humanitarian-mother, she says she didn't really take any special notice when her exposed leg became an internet sensation after the Oscars:
I honestly didn't pay attention to it. You know what I mean? I don't watch those TV shows and if I go online and see something about myself, I don't click on it. And the people I surround myself with don't really talk about that kind of stuff. [Laughs]. I heard something, but I didn't pay any attention. It's as simple as a being a woman picking a dress you like and having a night, and not really thinking about anything else.
Simple as that, indeed. Besides when you are one of the biggest celebrities in the world, having your leg get famous independently of you is only like adding a tiny drop of fame in your giant bucked already overflowing with it. Another day, another famous limb. [HuffPo]
From the Department of Duh: Jon Hamm has revealed that once upon a time, back before he was JON HAMM and was just another starving actor, one of his friends who wanted to have a baby asked him to be the father. He said no, but you can't blame the person for trying. After all, if Jon Hamm is your friend, who else would you ever ask? As sperm donors go, Hamm is kind of a no-brainer. [Daily Express]
Snooki really seems to be taking her impending motherhood seriously. She was spotted today pushing a doll around in a baby carriage? Why? Nobody knows. Do we even really want to know? The reality is probably that it was something for her show, since JWoww was also seen carrying a doll around. But it's better if we leave it a mystery, because then we can allow ourselves to believe that Snooki has recently become one of those fascinating people who raise dolls as if they were children. [E!]
- Ok, finally a piece of news that doesn't have anything to do with babies: Like most other ladies on Planet Earth, Diane Keaton would very much like to make out with Ryan Gosling. [EW]
- It's been almost a month since Jennifer Garner gave birth to her son, Samuel, and today she stepped back out into the "real world" for the first time—and by that I mean the part of the world where paparazzi are hanging around, snapping her picture all day long. She took her daughter Seraphina to the doctor, which doesn't sound like the most fun way to spend a day out of the house, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. [HuffPo]
- There's a photo of Jennifer Lawrence grabbing coffee without any makeup on, and obviously she looks lovely—but anyone who's seen Winter's Bone could have already told you that. [Us]
- Prince William and Kate Middleton will re-enact the procession through the streets that they did at the Royal Wedding last year, but it's not because they're renewing their vows. God, can you imagine what madness that would be? No, this time the whole Royal family will be doing a procession in celebration of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee. Booooring. [E!]
- And now for today's lamest attempt to start a ridiculous celebrity feud. The headline is, "Did Hilary Duff Steal Baby Name From Jennie Garth?" First of all, stealing baby names from people that are not your relatives or best friends is not actually a thing. Second, Garth's daughter Luca is 15, and Hilary Duff's newborn Luca is a boy. Judge Cassie's ruling: Not guilty. [Contact Music]
- Speaking of Jennie Garth, her soon to be ex-husband Peter Facinelli seems to be feeling a bit down. Here's what he tweeted, "Sometimes it lasts in love and sometimes it hurts instead- Adele." Ouch. [People]
- I spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about the show Revenge, and thus I am seriously considering bidding on this Charity Buzz auction that involves visiting the set. Here's what's included:
• 2-hour set visit of Revenge Season 1 Finale Episode taping either April 6 or April 9, 2012. You'll be privy to top-secret, confidential facts about the last episode, but you'll have to keep your lips sealed (and sign a confidentiality agreement).
• 1 official black zip hoodie Crew sweatshirt (size medium) like the one worn on the show by lead actress Emily Van Camp
• 1 - 2 GB USB port in shape of a killer whale (memento given to cast and crew)
• 1 Script of an already aired episode that will be signed by available cast members
• Opportunity to take a photo with available cast members
• Special walk-on-role opportunity (To be determined day of set visit and is contingent on what is being filmed).
Unfortunately, the bidding is currently at $3,750, and if I am going to spend that kind of money on something, I have to be able to live in it (i.e. house, car, hollowed-out buffalo carcass). Thus I am going to pass, but you should win the auction and then violate your confidentiality agreement and tell us all what happens in the last episode! [Charity Buzz]
- Breaking celebrity haircut news: Milla Jovovich shaved the side of her head. [Us]
- After his recent heart attack, comedian Gallagher is on the mend, but he's decided to retire from doing live shows after 32 years of performing. Though he said he might still perform at private parties. So if it's always been your dream to see him live, start saving your pennies. [AP]