Actress Octavia Spencer has been the toast of the town since getting a heap of award nominations for her role in The Help, but, much to her dismay, a lot of the conversation in the press about her has involved her weight. She took to Facebook to air her frustrations and set the record straight.
After being honored by my Guild on Sunday, I was whisked to the Press Room where one of the first questions I was asked (by Ted Casablanca) was ‘what I felt about underweight women'. (i'm paraphrasing here) I'm thinking….this is relevant because… Then I started thinking, would these questions ever be asked of my male counterparts? Better yet, underweight actors or actresses? Nah, I don't think so!
Anyway, I answer: "Women would be alot happier if they ate…However, it is society that has told them and continues to tell them that you are less valued if you are of a certain age, or weight…something has to change.
I began that by addressing my own weight issue.."Granted I'm not at the healthiest weight because when you are heavier around the middle…" blah blah blah. YOu get it. The next thing I read, Octavia Spencer is WORRIED ABOUT HER WEIGHT…. OCTAVIA SPENCER FEELS SHE IS LESS VALUED BECAUSE OF HER WEIGHT…
Of course I was miffed that not only was I being misrepresented, but it was sending THE WRONG MESSAGE to kids out there. So, I decided to tell you IN MY OWN DAMNED WORDS the truth! First of all, Ladies and Gents here's what i am NOT DOING….I am NOT WORRYING ABOUT MY WEIGHT! I AM NOT TRYING TO CONFORM TO an unrealistic model of beauty.
She goes on to talk about how she's just trying to be as healthy as she can be and rails against the weight-obsessed media who she says "is destroying not only us but our children!" And then she closes with this:
Be happy in your own skin. If you are unhealthy start by making small changes to become healthier. You are unique, beautiful, and worthy. Last but certainly not least, don't buy into any of it. AND I MEAN LITERALLY! I don't buy magazines that don't feature women who represent my physicality or varying ethicities on their cover because they are saying, YOU DON'T MATTER TO ME…YOU ARE NOT MY DEMOGRAPHIC. To that I say, good, that's $35 a week I can save! God bless!
Excellent. Now we know the whole story, and we need never speak about her weight again. Instead, we could talk about the fact that she's just signed on to be in Snow Piercer, an indie sci-fi movie that also stars Chris Evans, John Hurt, and Tilda Swinton. [ONTD, THR]
Blake Lively is in Elle this month, and she had some interesting comments about having children:
I hope to have a few girls one day. If not girls, they better be trannies. Because I have some amazing shoes and bags and stories that need to be appreciated.
Uh oh. Judging from how poorly both Neil Patrick Harris and Lance Bass's use of the word "tranny" went over, it's only a matter of time before Blake has to do some serious public apologizing. [The Cut]
Brad Pitt has revealed the truth about how he and Angelina Jolie get their six children to get going in the morning:
Listen, I admit there's times like, "We gotta get up. Get up! Here's your shoes. Here's your shoes. Drink this coke. Drink this Coca Cola. Drink it all. Right now! Drink it! Drink it! Drink it!' Just so we can get ‘em up and going."
Hey, you do what you gotta do—and now we that there is one percent of Brad's life that overlaps with a normal parent's. [Showbiz Spy]
Katherine Heigl has a feud on her hands. After she called Dance Moms, "demeaning, belittling, and downright unkind," on her iVillage blog, the stars of the show are pissed. Mom Christi Lukasiak fought back during a radio interview this morning, "I recall Katherine Heigl being in a movie about sleeping with an older man when she was about 12, so." Burn, I guess? She continued, "And she doesn't know that when I put my daughter to bed every night, you know, like, we have a long talk, and the kind of relationship I have with her. I don't let anybody mess with my kid." Consider yourself warned, Katherine. [OMG!]
Michael Fassbender got up to a little too much fun a few nights ago while at a party for his movie A Dangerous Method. He was "in high spirits" at the restaurant and got wild, dancing around the room with his co-stars Keira Knightley and Viggo Mortensen, taking over the piano, and the lighting up a cigarette. After he was asked to leave, a friend carried him out via piggyback ride. Oh, he's that kind of guy. [Winnipeg Free Press]
- Speaking of A Dangerous Method, Keira Knightley says she worked hard to make sure she nailed her "sex faces" for her sex scenes, even running them by director David Cronenberg:
I worked with that and sat in my bathroom and pulled faces at myself for about two days, trying to figure out what it was going to be. Then I got on Skype with David and went, "I've come up with this," or, "I've come up with this," and he went, "That one!"
- Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of the internet during that Skype session. [Daily Express]
- Demi Moore is back at her house in L.A. and receiving visitors. Bruce Willis showed up yesterday, and then later in the day Ashton Kutcher rolled into the driveway in a Lexus with the windows blacked out. [E!]
- Prince William has begun his six-week-long deployment to the Falkland Islands with the Royal Air Force. You will obviously recognize that this means Kate Middleton will be forced to spend their first Valentine's Day as a married couple alone. She is no doubt so devastated that she'll spend the night alone eating chocolates and crying all over her new puppy. [E!]
- Time flies. Jamie Lynn Spears is about to turn 21, and she talked to Glamour about how her decision to have a baby at 16 was received, particularly her choice to talk to OK! magazine about it:
I wasn't trying to glamorize teen pregnancy. I hated when [the tabloids] said that. Everybody is dealt a hand of cards. It was my choice to play them the way I played them.
- She's now a single mom, and lives in Nashville. She's trying to build her music career-which shouldn't be too hard given who her older sister is. [HuffPo]
- Those of you Les Miserables fans who were upset by the idea of Taylor Swift playing Eponine in the movie will be relieved to know that she has dropped out of the production. Samantha Banks, who played the role in the 25th anniversary concert, will be Eponine instead. [CDaN]
- Madonna held a press conference for the Super Bowl this afternoon, and someone asked her if A-Rod really has a painting of himself as centaur. Here's what she said:
Wow. If he does, I haven't seen it. But I'm pretty sure he has a very large photograph of me lying on a horse. I hope that answers your question.
- Naturally. How much do you think that photograph will sell for at auction in 50 years? [Boston]
- Behold! There is a new Hunger Games trailer for your viewing pleasure. Yesss. [Yahoo!]
- FYI, here is what Backstreet Boy A.J. McLean looks like dressed up in some lady clothes. The photo is part of an art exhibit his friend Tyler Shields is doing in London. [E!]
- Here's your chance to see some of the cast of Downton Abbey in their modern, normal people clothes. Proceed at your own risk. Your illusions may be shattered, but seeing Mr. Carson in his bike shorts and helmet is worth it. [Paper]
- Good news for non-sports lovers, CBS's is airing a special called "Three Remarkable Women," hosted by Morley Safer, during the Super Bowl on Sunday. It will be an hour of "60 Minutes" interviews with Dolly Parton, Anna Wintour, and Meryl Streep. Remarkable women, indeed! [Mediabistro]