Oh, man, it's not even Valentine's Day and already love has taken quite a beating in 2012. Today comes the upsetting news that Aretha Franklin has called off her engagement to Willie Wilkerson. But… but… but, it's only been three weeks since they announced their plan to marry! What could go wrong in that time?
Apparently it just didn't take long for them to realize they'd made a mistake, and now they're publicly backing off of their marriage plans. Franklin said in a statement, "Will and I have decided we were moving a little too fast, and there were a number of things that had not been thought through thoroughly. There will be no wedding at this time." Bummer! It sure would have been fun to see what kind of wedding Aretha threw. Oh well, we can only assume that at the age of 69, and with two marriages under her belt, she knows what's best. [Us]
Sigh. Seal and Heidi have confirmed what we all knew but were still kind of refusing to believe. Heidi gave a statement to People, laying it all out:
While we have enjoyed seven very loving, loyal and happy years of marriage, after much soul-searching we have decided to separate. We have had the deepest respect for one another throughout our relationship and continue to love each other very much, but we have grown apart. This is an amicable process and protecting the well-being of our children remains our top priority, especially during this time of transition.
Of course, she only said separate, not divorce! And X17 has photos of Seal still wearing his wedding ring. So for those of you who wish to cling to the dream that they'll end up back together, feel free to get as crazy as you need to survive… [People, X17]
There was a bit of stronger than usual chatter on the internet this weekend that Jennifer Aniston is pregnant. She went to a screening and kept her coat on and buttoned the whole time (as seen in this pic), and it was interpreted that she was hiding some kind of bulge. (I am NOT going to say baby bump—you're welcome!) Furthermore, she was reported to be six months along, by which point you'd think she' be showing pretty noticeably. But now the dreams of baby speculators everywhere have been crushed. Jennifer and Justin Theroux went to the movies this weekend, and she didn't appear to be hugely pregnant. Though she was wearing a loose sweater and coat, so this will hardly be the definitive death of the rumor. [Daily Mail]
Oops, Jay Leno has irritated some of his viewers. (And not just by telling hacky jokes…rimshot!) Last week in a sketch, he showed pictures of what he said were the homes of GOP primary contenders. He showed actual houses owned by Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul, but then for Mitt Romney he showed a picture of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, India. It's considered "the spiritual center of the Sikh religion and a valued shrine to other Indian religions, as well as the site of acts of violence." Naturally, some Indians found this offensive, including Vayalar Ravi, India's Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs, who said the choice was "quite unfortunate and quite objectionable." His embassy is planning to talk to the US State Department about it. Why do I have a feeling a half-hearted apology from Jay/NBC will be forthcoming any second now. [New York Times]
Aziz Ansari was opening for Drake at a private concert at Sundance, and shit got a little crazy. Drake was late, so the show got started well after it was supposed to. The crowd was not super receptive when Aziz came on stage to do stand-up, but he gave it his best shot. Still, the crowd got rowdy and started booing him, when suddenly Cuba Gooding, Jr. leapt from the audience and onto the stage! He grabbed the mic and told the crowd to listen:
Hey, hey, yo! Cuba Gooding! Shut the fuck up! Shut the fuck up! We got Aziz here, motherfucker. He's trying to make us laugh with his cock out, motherfucker. Shut up and let him do his shit.
Oh, it's Cuba Gooding, well then we definitely should listen? I guess? WTF. Anyway, when Aziz tried to tell Cuba he didn't really care if the audience shaped up, Gooding continued:
Black people, we gotta stick together, Aziz.
Aziz, who is of Indian descent, responded with this:
That's right, Cuba Gooding Jr. Cedric the Entertainer will be up here making different points as well.
Gooding loved it, saying "NOW the motherfucker's funny!" Then the strange dream was over, and Drake came on and played. Wow, between this and Tracy Morgan passing out from altitude sickness, Sundance seems like a place where only bad things happen to comedians. [Vulture]
- Speaking of Mr. Jordan (as Kenneth would say), he is on the mend. He tweeted about his health scare, saying: "Superman ran into a little kryptonite. The high altitude in Utah shook up this kid from Brooklyn." He was released from the hospital this afternoon, and is "doing much better." [EW, OMG!]
- Tracy Jordan wasn't the only celeb being rushed to the hospital this weekend. Kevin Federline was also taken to the ER after he experienced trouble with his pulse and heart while filming an Australian weight-loss reality show called Excess Baggage. Luckliy, he's okay now. [E!]
- And one cannot think of Kevin Federline without thinking of Britney Spears. She's definitely pulled herself together since the days of Kev, and it seems she is now on the verge of regaining control over her own money. Her father, Jamie, has said he will go to court in February to release Brit from the conservatorship she's been under for the past four years. [Daily Caller]
- Questlove, of the Roots, is hard at work on a very special baby gift for Blue Ivy Carter. He's planning to give the baby an iPod with 12,000 songs on it. He's one hell of a DJ, so there's yet another reason to be jealous of the lucky child. Though the gift comes with one requirement: ‘it has to be played on an endless loop," he says. Wow, it's a nice thought but it will probably only ensure that Blue will rebel against all the excellent musical taste that surrounds her by developing a deep love of Barney and other sickly sweet kids crap. Of course, they should be able to meet in the middle with Yo Gabba Gabba! [NYDN]
- Brad Pitt has ditched his cane, but his knee still has some healing to do. He's going to have to wear a brace for a month—too bad, that's not nearly as dashing as a cane!—and then do rehab before he's back in fighting form. [E!]
- Speaking of Pitt, OMG! Shiloh Jolie-Pitt has a new hairstyle. She's cut it into a short pixie style, and it's cute. [Pop Sugar]
- Kim Kardashian joined Kelly Ripa as cohost of her show this morning and talked a little about the thinking behind the quick exit she made from her marriage to Kris Humphries:
Being a hopeless romantic, I wanted to believe in something so badly. If you think I really made all that money that everyone claimed we made on the wedding and that it was for TV...I'm a smart businesswoman, I would have stayed married longer! This was a bad business decision. I really didn't think following my heart would create this much backlash.
Awww, poor, innocent Kim was just following her heart. And she also swears she didn't throw in the towel too soon:
I definitely tried everything I could [to save it], but also heard stories of people who had kids and stayed married for years and it didn't end up working out. I want babies and that forever love and if I felt in my heart that this wasn't right, why wait years for the same result?
Yeah, there's no reason to wait years, but maybe we'd be more convinced that you gave it your all if it had lasted even ONE year. [Us]
- January Jones knows that Betty Draper isn't necessarily the most liked character on Mad Men, and she wouldn't mind seeing that turn around:
I find it really interesting that people think that like in seasons 3 and 4, she's become unlikable because she's become more independent. Everybody liked Betty when she was like in a living hell in season one and two, and now they hate her. I think it's funny that it carries over into my life, my actual life, when [showrunner] Matt [Weiner] writes a storyline that Betty's unlikable, all of a sudden everybody hates me. I hope she gets a little more well received.
At this point, it'd be quite a feat to make Betty a super loveable character, but if anybody can do it, it's probably Weiner. [Just Jared]
- Uh oh. Halle Berry's baby daddy, Gabriel Aubry, is being investigated for his involvement in an incident that involved him pushing the nanny that cares for their daughter into a doorway while she was holding the child. The nanny filed a police report, and it's looking like Gabriel could be charged with misdemeanor child endangerment and misdemeanor battery. [TMZ]
- Hmm, Chris Brown is denying he's back together with Rihanna. They were at the same club last night in West Hollywood, but they left separately. Brown's rep says that Chris and RiRi are just pals and that Chris ended the night by leaving with his girlfriend, an "aspiring model" named Karrueche Tran. Make of it what you will. [TMZ]
- Aaand, the relationships just keep crumbling. Simon Cowell has said that he and his girlfriend, Mezghan Husseiny, are no longer planning to wed. They're "on a break," so perhaps there's some sliver of hope, but let's not hold our breath. [E!]
- In closing, you should know that Demi Lovato is going to take a break from tweeting. She announced this on Saturday, on Twitter, of all places:
Twitter break. It's for the best actually. Who allows me to have this thing anyways?!!! I just get myself in trouble! Haha. Anyway... BYE!
No word on when she'll life the self-imposed ban. So I guess bye for now! [E!]