First we dealt with the painful shock that Katy Perry and Russell Brand's marriage had fallen apart, and now comes word that @katyperry has officially unfollowed @rustyrockets. Alas, parting is such tweet sorrow! The worst part of this digital divorce is that her estranged hubby is still following her. Awkward.
Brand hasn't tweeted since January 5th; so maybe he hasn't reciprocated because he hasn't yet noticed the one missing follower among his 3.9 million? It's hard to imagine he has anything better to do than obsessively track his follower count, but I suppose it is possible. While the social networking portion of any breakup is never fun, at least Katy can be thankful she never changed her Twitter handle to something like @mrsbrand or @rustyrockette. Otherwise we'd have another painful @mrskutcher situation on our hands. [E!]
This is a huge loss. Etta James was one of the greatest vocalists of our time. I am so fortunate to have met such a queen. Her musical contributions will last a lifetime. … She was fearless, and had guts. She will be missed.
And plenty of famous names sang James's praise on Twitter, including Jessica Alba, Gabrielle Union, Will.i.am, Adam Lambert, Kirstie Alley, Roseanna Barr, and Al Roker, to name just a few. [LA Times, Us]
Monty. Deep brown eyes, noble demeanor, finest dog ever. A sad day. Goodbye Big Boy. Hanx
- We need some good news to cheer us up! Hmm, this will do in a pinch: Florence Welch has a new mystery boyfriend. (If you want to make a joke inside your head about the dog days being over, I'm not going to stop you, but I'm certainly not going to make one for you.) They spent some time on the beach together in at the Rio de Janeiro, and kudos to her for some great swimwear style. [Just Jared]
- Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez may not be married anymore, but that doesn't mean they can't work together peacefully. On their new show Q'Viva! The Chosen, J-Lo described their relationship as, "very Sonny and Cher after the divorce." Cool. Now we can breathe a collective sigh of relief because we've found the "Sonny and Cher of our generation" that we've all been desperately seeking. [People]
- Speaking of celebrity splits, Vanessa Paradis, whose relationship with Johnny Depp is reportedly dead, went out to do a little shopping in Paris—by herself. "Okay," you're thinking to yourself, "that may or may not be a sign that things are on the rocks." But, wait, you don't yet know the best detail about her shopping trip: She went into a book and music store where she bought a copy of The Seven-Year Itch. What does it all mean?! [E!]
- Jessica Alba appeared on The Rachael Ray Show and said that her three-year-old daughter, Honor, likes to dress in drag:
She's very independent, very opinionated and loves dress up so much, Like every day, she's in full drag! She wears a wig everyday. She has a lot of wigs and she has a lot of plastic heels. It's totally insane, but it makes her happy.
I'm not sure that really counts as drag, but, whatever, it's still cute. [ONTD]
- Ewan McGregor hit a lady! But don't worry—it was during work, so we don't have to start hating on the underrated hottie, who, in my opinion, is not being swooned over actively enough these days. Anyway, McGregor was filming his new movie Haywire when he accidentally punched his costar Gina Carano in the head. Carano is a badass mixed martial arts champion, and she wasn't fazed by the hit in the least, says Ewan:
I had a series of three punches, but the third one...for one reason or another I connected really hard on the side of her head. "She was the one who got straight up and said, "Are you OK?" She was asking me if I was OK! But she was right because I almost broke my friggin' hand!
Love it. [E!]
- Figure skater Johnny Weir said yesterday that he's going to return to competitive skating and shoot for the 2014 Olympics. Not that you were probably too concerned, but Weir was quick to say that this decision won't prevent him from being a good husband to Victor Voronov, whom he married in December:
I'll still wash boxers and cook dinner and clean the house and do everything I'm supposed to do as a happy husband.
Good to see female athletes aren't the only one who stress about work-life balance! [People]
- Kathy Griffin just cannot get enough of stripping on TV. First she sent Anderson Cooper into hysterics after she bared a lot of skin in the middle of Times Square on New Year's Eve, and then last night she was back down to her bra and undies for David Letterman, who didn't seem to object to the idea in the least. [E!]
- Turns out Tim Tebow's recent trip to sinful Las Vegas included a look behind the scenes at Cirque du Soleil's "O" to meet some of the performers, which prompted TMZ to go with the headline: "No on Abortion, YES ON CONTORTION." Grade-A Perfection. [TMZ]
- Unfortunately, Heather Locklear's drinking seems to be a longstanding problem that might have already sent her to rehab, under the radar, shortly after she split with fiancé Jack Wagner in November. Though she reportedly "didn't take it seriously," and then ran into trouble again when we was taken to the hospital last week. [Us]
- Wow, the stars of Blossom are all grown up and having babies. Of course, Mayim Bialik has been a mom for a while, but now we have word that Jenna Von Oy, who played Six, is expecting her first child. [People]
- Yikes! An Indiana man is in trouble for trying to strangle porn star Bree Olsen—who was one of Charlie Sheen's notorious "Goddesses." Olsen and the man, Johnathan R. Underwood, had apparently arrived back at Olsen's home when they got into an argument. Underwood pushed her against a car and started to strangle her unti she almost passed out. Fortunately, he let her go and fled the scene. He was later caught by police and now facing charges of battery and strangulation.[WANE]