We've all been so busy buzzing about the birth of Blue Ivy Carter that we didn't notice some less joyful news out of the Jay-Z camp. His company Rocawear recently laid off more than half of its staff. To make matters worse, the timing of the firings was especially poor.
They fired 28 employees in total for "economic" reasons. The cuts were made on January 6th, just one day before Jay-Z and Beyonce welcomed Blue Ivy to the world in the comfort of a fancy private hospital suite. Well, this does even further damage to the idea that Jay supports the 99%. [The Cut]
Speaking of Beyonce , earlier today the UK tabloid Star claimed to have the first post-baby interview with her, which seemed highly suspicious. Why she'd chose to talk to them, of all of her possible options, was curious, but what was even more curious is that every quote they attributed to her is so generic it could have been copied and pasted from the Celebrity New Parent Handbook. For instance, "Nothing can describe the feeling. You have the instant connection once you know your child is growing inside you, but when you hold it for the first time, the words can't be found." Hmm, that doesn't sound too legit—and it isn't! Beyonce's rep has confirmed that they made the whole thing up. Scandal! Lies! Or maybe they interviewed a cliché-generating machine called Beyonce and let us assume it was actually from the mouth of pop star... [Star , OMG! ]
Piers Morgan has a bone to pick with Nick Cannon . It started this morning when Cannon called into Howard Stern's radio show. While chatting about the upcoming season of America's Got Talent , on which Stern will be a judge, Cannon said this about Morgan:
Piers was a diva, I'll put it out there. He would, like, walk off and be upset [about his time being wasted] - especially when the CNN stuff came about.
After this diss, Piers Morgan took to Facebook to air his feelings:
Can't believe you've been calling ME a Diva Nick Cannon - if you weren't so small, I'd come round and smack your sorry ass.
Daaaayummm! Why don't we get these two their own one-hour special, and they can squash their beef once and for all.
Cannon also said while talking to Stern that he's on the mend health-wise. He finally explained where the scary phrase "mild kidney failure" came from. His kidneys weren't working properly, but, he said, "We didn't want to say ‘kidney failure' because when people think ‘kidney failure,' they think, ‘Uh oh, I gotta go get new kidneys' and Gary Coleman and all of that. We didn't want to go there, so we said ‘mild kidney failure.'" Huh. That explains that. He's still got a few more things to do before he's given the all-clear, but he says he's back to "feeling 100 percent." [EW]
Zooey Deschanel (who turns 32 today, btw) may be the most popular girl in Hollywood right now, but she says she was bullied back in school: "Girls spit in my face, people were so mean to me, I'd cry every day." The lasting impact of that? She protects herself by not reading online gossip and comments, which is probably wise for any celebrity, even if they've never been bullied a day in their life. [USA Today ]
- Lindsay Lohan appeared in court today for a progress hearing. The judge told her she was on the right track, "Just keep doing what you're doing, and you appear to be doing it well." For the moment, that means completing more community service and therapy before her next hearing on February 22nd. Fingers crossed! [Reuters]
- Michelle Williams is on the cover of GQ's February issue, and in the accompanying article she opens up a bit about her relationship with Heath Ledger:
Our initial meeting, the circumstances of how we first met, were cosmic or something. Yeah, a lot of things happened at once. It's a bit like: We had a lot of things to do, because we didn't have a lot of time, or something.
Ouch. It hurts the heart to read such things. [Extra TV]
- This should cheer us up after that last sad bit: Uggie, the dog who stars in The Artist and charmed us all at the Golden Globes, has landed a new job. He can be seen skateboarding in a Valentine's Day e-card from American Greetings. [E! Online]
- If you're very anxious for Mad Men's return to television in March, why not let this countdown clock help you keep track of exactly how long it will be until you can visually caress Jon Hamm in those delicious suits. Right now we're running 67 days until the big premiere, which seems like an eternity [NYO]
- LeAnn Rimes got a new tattoo on her foot in honor of her husband, Eddie Cibrian. It says, "the only one that matters," which is something he said to her during a recent vacation. That's nice—except it's sort of a funny place to put that particular phrase, since when it comes to feet, they both really matter. [OMG!]
- Tyra Banks is dating again. She met her new man while traveling in Asia, and now they're getting serious. Says a source of Ty Ty's new love interest, who is apparently Balinese, "It's a total long-distance romance. But it's a big deal." Please adjust your level of excitement accordingly! [People]
- Steven Tyler opened up to Ellen DeGeneres about when he first knew he wanted to marry his now-fiancée, Erin Brady:
The first time I saw her, she worked for Clear Channel, so she was paying the band. One night she had this hair band on around her head. She looked really old-fashioned. So I took her back in the room and she tied me up with it and I thought, "I'm marrying this girl." Exactly that way.
Awwww. I guess when you know, you know. [Us]
- Oprah is in India and rocking a sari. [TMZ]
- Wheeee! Sean Hayes, of Will & Grace fame, will be a guest star on Parks & Recreation. [TV Line]
- Bruce Jenner had a cancerous growth taken off of his face, but he's going to be totally fine. Hopefully the minor procedure didn't impair his facial mobility, because he doesn't have much to spare! [Us]
- And in other Kardashian news, just because Khloe has moved to Dallas doesn't mean she's going to give up her quest to have a baby with Lamar Odom. She's reportedly meeting with fertility doctors in Texas. [Radar]
- Things are really not looking good for Teen Mom's Jenelle Evans. She's been arrested for the second time in just six days. She was charged Monday with "violating a domestic violence protection order." Earlier in the week she was picked up for making harassing phone calls. Eeesh. [Yahoo!]
- Garth Brooks has filed a lawsuit against an Oklahoma hospital for not naming a building after his late mom, after he gave them a $500,000 donation. He's asking for the money back, saying the hospital had told him it was to be used for a building named after Colleen Brooks. The hospital, however, says the donation was "anonymous and unconditional." [HuffPo]
- Henry Winkler, who never stops being adorable, tweeted about how overjoyed he is about the birth of his newest grandson, Ace. [Digital Spy]
- Grey's Anatomy star Jessica Capshaw is pregnant with her third child. [OMG!]
- Josie Maran is also preggers. She's expecting her second child with boyfriend Ali Alborzi in July. [People]