Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are both routinely referred to as some of the most beautiful people alive, but it seems Angelina has decided who takes first place out of the two of them. Last night at the CAA party after the Golden Globes, she was heard gushing to her man, "You're prettier than me."
It's not the most obvious compliment to give to a tuxedo-clad guy walking with a cane, but for some reason, it works—and maybe it gave him a little ego boost after losing to George Clooney. He may have looked pretty, but she obviously cut a very striking figure too. Though it came at a price because in addition to complimenting Brad, she said, "My shoes are going to kill me!" At least we know she is human after all. [Us]
We all have our own opinions on how Ricky Gervais did as host of last night's Golden Globes , and, of course, so do the celebrities who were in the audience. Two of America's funniest ladies gave Ricky good marks. Tina Fey said, "I thought he had good jokes this year." And Maya Rudolph had really high praise for him:
I just think he's just so f—king funny. There's nobody like him. I don't keep a scorecard and think "Eh, It's a little toned down this year." He's amazing. I cannot do what he does. He's got very large testicles.
Maybe he does, but won't someone tell us—perhaps George Clooney—how his whole package compares to Michael Fassbender's? [E! Online]
It turns out all the hype about whether Ricky Gervais would come out swinging wasn't enough to bring in a bigger audience for the awards show. The ratings for this year's Golden Globes were slightly down from last year's. Last year's broadcast drew 17 million viewers, and this year there were only 16.8 million. [Reuters]
As a man who never misses a chance to take a good-natured dig at one of his Hollywood pals, George Clooney took Ryan Gosling's absence at the Golden Globes as a chance to give him a good ribbing. Clooney said of his fellow nominee for Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama),
He's in Thailand or something. He wrote me a nice letter, an e-mail, this morning. You know, he's gotta work. He's gotta earn a living. He's a struggling actor.
Yes, poor, poor, Ryan. And to make matters worse, he lost to Clooney! How is he ever going to make it in this business? [OMG!]
Speaking of George Clooney —which we can't seem to stop doing—his date for the Golden Globes, Stacy Keibler, was almost late to the red carpet. She told E! she was busy doing other things:
I was watching the Ravens game. I was sitting there in my Ravens jersey with the dog [Einstein], who was also wearing a jersey. I had to watch the game.
Sounds like the girl has her priorities straight! [E! Online]
Peter Dinklage used his Golden Globes win to do some good. During his acceptance speech, he said, "I want to mention a gentleman I'm thinking about in England: his name is Martin Henderson . Google him." It turns out that Martin is a 37-year-old man in England who has a type of dwarfism called achondroplasia, which Dinklage also has. He's an aspiring actor but was very badly hurt after being "dwarf tossed" by a drunk guy outside a bar one night in October. His back and legs were hurt, and he's been unable to walk since the attack. After Dinklage mentioned him, Martin became a trending topic on Twitter and has been getting tons of attention all over the internet. [Radar , ABC ]
- There's no love lost between Madonna and Elton John, and now Elton's hubby David Furnish is getting in on the action. Last night after Madge beat out John for a Golden Globe, Furnish took to Facebook to express himself: "Madonna. Best song???? F—k off!!!" He also said, quite rightly, that "her acceptance speech was embarrassing in its narcissism." [E! Online]
- It had to happen sooner or later: Justin Bieber has officially entered the hair-dying phase of teenagerhood. He's gone for a nice chocolate brown, which is tame compared to any number of fluorescent shades he could have picked. It looks fine, but it does play with your mind a bit, since we're all so used to him with his signature golden brown locks. [Us]
- If you've been wondering what January Jones's baby Xander looks like, the answer is pretty cute! [Celebuzz]
- Will Benedict Cumberbatch play a good guy or a bad guy in the upcoming Star Trek 2? He won't tell us! But that won't keep me from repeating his name over and over in my head. Say it with me: Benedict Cumberbatch, Benedict Cumberbatch, Benedict Cumberbatch. [MTV]
- Oh, Kid Rock. You are so very…Kid Rock. The singer lit up a cigar while in the audience of a Travis Tritt show in Detroit. It's illegal to smoke at bars in Michigan, and a 58-year-old guy with asthma who was standing near Kid Rock got really pissed when he started smoking. But never fear, KR has said he's sorry, "My most sincere apologies to the patrons I may have offended, and a big middle finger in advance to all the haters and attorneys who will somehow try to find an easy paycheck in all this." He also said he was pretty wasted, and closed with, "I doubt I'm the first one to ever make a bad decision while being intoxicated." Stay cool, Kid. [TMZ]
- Craig Ferguson might be playing a little hardball with CBS as his contract expiration nears. He might leave his Late Late Show if he doesn't get more money, both for himself and the show's budget. There's also the question of whether David Letterman will retire—and open the spot for Ferguson. Let's hope the suspense doesn't kill us, and also that CBS handles this better than NBC handled Jay Leno and Conan. [CDaN]
- Gasp! After 12 years playing Catherine Willows, Marg Helgenberger is leaving CSI. [CBS]
- Ooh, Fatima Siad, whom you may remember from America's Next Top Model, looks seriously good in this new ad campaign for Herve Leger by Max Azria. [Life Files]
- Poor David Hasselhoff. The Cringemander-in-Chief has had to cancel his upcoming tour because ticket sales were so bad. [Daily Express]
- Heather Mills, ex-wife of Paul McCartney, had a cancer scare just before Christmas when they found a tumor in her leg. It turned out to be benign, luckily, and she's going to be just fine. [ONTD]
- Uh oh. Kasey Kahl, whom you might recognize from The Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad, was arrested for being drunk and disorderly in a nightclub in Fresno, California. [TMZ]