Everybody knows President Obama has lots of famous friends, but do you ever wonder which ones he likes best? Does Blake Lively come over for dessert? Does he play Dungeons and Dragons with Jay-Z? And more importantly, who would he trust to campaign on his behalf? Luckily, his campaign made a list of their celebrity picks, and wait until you see who's on it.
The list, which was meant to serve as rundown of possible Obama surrogates for 2012 campaign, was leaked this week, and you can see it for yourself here. In terms of the people he chose, it seems oddly random. There are some real no-brainers like Oprah, Chelsea Clinton, and members of his cabinet. (Nobody whips the youth into a frenzy like Secretary of Energy Steven Chu!!!) Then there are plenty of actors: George Clooney, Bradley Cooper, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tina Fey, Maggie Gyllenhaal (but no Jake!?), Eva Longoria, etc. And, of course, musicians: The Roots, The Black Eyed Peas, Arcade Fire, Alicia Keys, and…Counting Crows. Hmm, Counting Crows, really? Don't be afraid to aim high, Mr. President! For instance, why wasn't Beyonce included?
The list is just a wish list for the moment—there's no word that most of these people have actually committed to campaigning on behalf of Obama. So, for now, the dream of seeing Counting Crows reprise "Mr. Jones" as "Mr. President" will remain just that, a dream. [HuffPo, Tennessean]
Eek! Gene Hackman, America's favorite tough guy with a heart of gold, has been in an accident. He was reportedly riding his bike today in the Florida Keys when he was hit by a car. The 81-year-old actor was airlifted to a hospital but is now doing fine. The airlift was necessary because he was on an island, and, now that he's been given the okay by doctors, he's on his way home "with a few bumps and bruises." Phew. The thought of someday having to see Gene Hackman's face in the "In Memoriam" segment during the Oscars is too painful to contemplate. Stay strong, Gene! [TMZ, E! Online]
Heather Locklear remains in the hospital after being rushed there yesterday. She's reportedly in the ICU, where she's getting one-on-one care. According to a hospital spokesman, she is in "good condition" and is "medically stable." Meanwhile, apparently the drug and alcohol use that landed her in the hospital this time wasn't an isolated incident. Her family is eager for her to enter rehab as soon as she gets out of the hospital, but she's said to be resistant to that idea. [TMZ, OMG!]
Justin Bieber unveiled a new hairstyle this week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. His new swoopy mass of hair looks very similar to his old "signature" ‘do. He must be going back to his roots. GET IT? Roots, hair? Hahahahaha. *slams head repeatedly against laptop* [E! Online]
During an online chat last night, Angelina Jolie revealed that directing her first movie, In the Land of Blood and Honey, was not all happiness and smiles:
I had a complete emotional breakdown in the shower and Brad found me crying. I felt this huge responsibility and I felt very small. I thought, "Who am I to take this on?"...I had a complete meltdown.
I think we can all relate. Stressed out and feeling like a fraud? Check! Crying in the shower? Check! Brad Pitt coming in to comfort you… Stars, they're just like us. [E! Online]
- Ricky Gervais has said he's already picked out who'll be the target of his jokes at this Sunday's Golden Globes. Ooh, he's like the opposite of Santa Claus—making a list, checking it twice, and then publicly eviscerating the naughty (and maybe even some of the nice). But he swears he's got no plans to go for the jugular:
I've got nothing against anyone in the room, I've worked with many of them, I like many of them, I admire most of them. They're just gags. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or give them a bad name or undermine the moral fabric of America. I'm a comedian, I rather they laugh than gasp but I'll cherish the laughs along with the gasps.
We shall see, but one thing's for sure: this is probably the only time in Hollywood when people will be relieved they're not "on the list." [Yahoo!]
- Speaking of the Golden Globes, it's been announced that Madonna will present an award during the ceremony. Well won't that be fun. [ET]
- Kim Kardashian skipped the People's Choice Awards because she "didn't feel good about herself." Instead, she went and got a haircut at a salon where a source says she was "wearing dark sunglasses and seemed very withdrawn." They also said that despite the hair-epy session, she left seeming "stressed out" and "preoccupied." Huh, that's totally weird. Wonder what she's so upset about?! [Hollywood Life]
- It appears that Prince William and Kate Middleton have a new puppy! And, of course, it is completely tiny and adorable. Maybe it will sleep in one of the 642 nurseries which Kate has reportedly been preparing in homes across England for her soon-to-be/eventually-to-be/never-to-be born baby. [People]
- While we're on the topic of royalty, Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, is facing criminal charges in Turkey. She went undercover and filmed in an orphanage to document abuse that was happening inside. That was three years ago, but now a court has filed charges against Fergie claiming she violated the privacy of the children. If she's convicted, she could face 22 years in prison. It's unlikely England would extradite her, but you never know. Insert your favorite Turkish prison joke here. [CBS News]
- Look out, Los Angeles! Russell Brand is leaving London and heading your way. Us reports he's looking "somber" and "frail" post-divorce-announcement, so be nice to him if you see him on the street. [Us]
- If you're reading this in a public place, prepare to muffle the squeals of your inner teen: Diablo Cody has confirmed she's adapting the Sweet Valley High series into a movie musical! [MTV]
- Rosie O'Donnell thinks her fiancée Michelle Rounds is a living doll: "I'm not a Barbie. She has Mattel stamped on her ass. She's literally perfection." Let's just hope she doesn't have those strange, smoothed over doll non-genitals! [Us]
- Are you a fan of SNL's Stefon? Then it would be in your best interest to read some of the Yelp reviews "he" has written of various New York establishments. [HuffPo]
- Whoop! Whoop! Nostalgia alert: John Stamos has confirmed he's going to be joining the Beach Boys for their reunion tour. [Vulture]
- For all of you celebrity baby trackers, plug this info into your "celebs to watch" database: Katherine Heigl and her husband Josh Kelly would like to adopt another child at some point. [The Boot]
- Are Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez engaged or not? Nobody really knows, but everybody and their mother seems to care. [Ministry of Gossip]
- Eww. Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig have purchased a "marital home" together in Manhattan. Why does a "marital home" sound so much grosser than a plain old apartment? [Daily Express]
- Joseph Kennedy III, grandson of Robert F. and son of Joseph II, is engaged to a lady named Lauren Anne Birchfield. The 31-year-old Kennedy, who's currently considering a run for Congress in Massachusetts, met his bride-to-be at Harvard Law School, natch. One assumes they'll have a long, happy, carefree life together—as all Kennedys have before them. [OMG!]
- Here's a very enjoyable sentence: The Situation is being sued by Serious Pimp. [TMZ]
- George Clooney's ex-gf Elisabetta Canalis has started "getting quite cozy" with Steve-O. Apparently, she likes him because he makes her laugh. [Radar]
- Sad news from the news department: Veteran reporter Richard Threlkeld has died at the age of 74. The reporter, who spent most of his career as an anchor and correspondent for CBS, was killed in a car accident this morning. [TVNewser]