Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes were in New York this week, and during their visit they shelled out a small fortune so that 5-year-old Suri could skate in total luxury at Rockefeller Center's famed ice rink. For the tidy sum of $5,000, Tom rented the VIP "Igloo," a separate area where you can warm up after skating, for an entire session. But they didn't stop there. They skipped the onsite refreshments and paid to have special gourmet hot chocolate and candy brought in "especially for Suri." In spite of the posh pre- and post-skating accommodations, Suri, Tom, and Katie did bravely share the ice with the common folk.
The sad thing is that $5000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the $130,000 worth of gifts Suri is reportedly getting for Christmas. I believe this is the point in the evening where you start shrieking uncontrollably and never recover. [NYDN, Time]
Oh no! Prince Philip , the cantankerous husband of Queen Elizabeth II , was taken to the hospital today with chest pains. Doctors found that the 90-year-old Royal had a blocked coronary artery, and he had surgery to put a stent in place. He remains in the hospital for observation. No word on whether his condition will affect the Christmas activities the Royal family has planned. [AP ]
Conan O'Brien proved that dreams really do come true yesterday. He played Secret Santa for one of his staff members and got her the gift of her celebrity crush, Jon Hamm . Jon came out and gave her a hug and signed a giant photo of himself. Her family might as well throw out all the gifts they'd bought this year because ain't nothing going to live up to the thrill of being touched by a Hamm. [People ]
During an interview with Essence , singer Robin Thicke took us all aboard the good ship USS Overshare, where he spoke about his sexy times with his wife Paula Patton :
I like to try to get her into double-digit orgasms as much as possible. It doesn't happen all the time, but when I've got my mojo and my swag, it happens. Every few months it's just like bam — repeated. Repeated! I like her to just be going crazy in the bedroom.
Whoa, dude. I'm happy for you two, I really am, but please steer this ship back into harbor, because I want to get off. [OMG]
- This morning the internet was aflutter with word that Mel Gibson would be officially single by the end of the day, meaning his divorce from wife Robyn, whom he separated from in 2006, would finally go through. And behold: it has come to pass. The judge has signed a decree, and now Mel is once again a single man. Of course, the fact that he was technically still married didn't stop him from having a child with Oksana Grigorieva in 2009, so this divorce probably won't have much of a practical effect on his love life. Nevertheless, for the three of you out there who still find him attractive, he's now officially all yours. [TMZ]
- Things are looking up for George Michael. He is back in Britain after almost dying from pneumonia while in a hospital in Vienna, Austria. He spoke to reporters this morning and said this had been, "By far the worst month of my life and I'm incredibly fortunate to be here." The singer looks gaunt and said he still feels weak. He seemed out of breath as he spoke, and also choked up when talking about the doctors who saved his life. [Telegraph]
- Melissa McCarthy continues to prove why she is one of the best celebrities ever. When asked what she's learned from her non-acting jobs before she was famous, she said,
To be kind to people. I think everybody should wait tables, because you get the best and worst thrown in your face. People would lash out at me, and I just thought, "I'm working so hard. Why are you yelling about a vodka and tonic?"
See what I mean?! [Parade]
- Blake Lively may be famous, but she doesn't want the fashion help that a lot of her fellow celebs rely on:
I don't work with a stylist. I just like whatever I'm feeling. Sometimes things are really beautiful, but they just don't photograph well, and that's that. I don't know, I don't really look at pictures of me when I'm in public.
God, between this and Melissa McCarthy's quote, it's like all the celebrities held a meeting and decided to suddenly act all down-to-earth and functional. (Though Tom Cruise must have been left off the email.) Maybe it's an elaborate plot to destroy the tabloid industry by becoming so dull nobody wants to hear about them and then they stop buying magazines? [Us Weekly]
- Your prayers have been answered: America's golden Olympian Lindsey Vonn is not dating Tim Tebow. She did tell TMZ that she's not opposed to dating him—and she's already friends with his brother—but she's made it pretty clear that for now, at least, she's single. [TMZ]
- Rumors have once again begun swirling—in certain dark corners of our collective electronic mind—that Khloe Kardashian is pregnant. Make of it what you will, "UNMISTAKABLE baby bump" and all. [HuffPo, MediaTakeOut]
- Hilary Duff had her sister, Haylie, paint a "Happy Holidays" message on her "baby bump." (Don't worry, God will make me pay in the afterlife for using that phrase twice in a single post.) Then she posted a photo to Twitter so we could all enjoy it. [E! Online]
- Heidi Klum loves a good costume, but apparently she doesn't just wear them on Halloween. Yesterday, she posted a photo of herself in a sexy Mrs. Claus outfit. Apparently, in Heidi Klum's version of the North Pole, it's not cold enough to require that pants be worn… [Crushable]
- Chris Evans keeps making the same New Year's resolution every year but never follows through:
I've had the same New Year's resolution for, like, a decade, but I really think I'm going to do it this year. I always say I should do more yoga. I'm getting old. Nerves are getting pinched every other day, and I really just gotta get more limber. Just watch, though, we'll do this interview again next year, and I'll be like, 'I really want to get into yoga! Didn't happen in 2012, but 2013 is the year!'
Stars, they really are just like us. (Except he's probably already more limber than most.) [OMG!]
- Robert DeNiro and his wife, Grace Hightower, have just welcomed a new baby to their family. Their daughter, Helen Grace, was born via surrogate. For some reason I'm finding the idea of Robert Deniro singing lullabies to be oddly soothing right now. [Yahoo!]
- More sad news regarding Etta James's health. The singer, who has leukemia, is now in the hospital and has been put on a breathing machine, according to her long-time manager.