Don't Let Your Pet Become A Trick-Or-Treat Casualty

In addition to worrying that your kids are chowing down on razor blade-filled apples tonight, you need to be concerned about your dog dying from going through your Halloween candy. Xylitol, a sugar substitute found in an increasing number of candies, is toxic to dogs and other some other pets. If dogs eat even a single stick of gum containing xylitol, it could cause a drop in blood sugar that leads to weakness, loss of coordination, and seizures. As most people know, chocolate isn't good for dogs either, so the basic message here is that your pet doesn't need a bite of your candy on Halloween, or any other night.

Image via Nadezhda V. Kulagina/Shutterstock.