Much unlike many a magazine editor who recommends you buy all sorts of crap that they most likely got for free, your Jezebel staff doesn't get jack shit (other than books, unsolicited). And that's how it should be. But on our own time, in our personal lives, we still buy stuff. So this is Worth It, our daily recommendation of random things that we've actually spent our own money on. These are the things we buy regularly or really like, things we'd actually tell our friends about. And now we're telling you.
I know, I know: the product I'm about to rave about requires you to use a solid bar to wash your hair. What the fuck, right? Wrong. LUSH's Trichomania shampoo is the bomb. And here's why.
- It's handmade from organic materials. Vegans, rejoice: this stuff is made from all-natural ingredients that are great for you, including creamed coconut. Coconut = smooth hair, and all natural ingredients = happy hair. It's a win-win, really.
- It's easy to use. It may seem counter-intuitive, but when I first bought the stuff I wasn't so sure that it would be so easy to turn a solid bar of stuff into a nice lather on my hair. More importantly, I wasn't sure that it could substitute for my regular shampoo. Wrong. Just wet the bar and your hair and run it through your hair and *bam!* instant lather. A nice and smooth lather, at that.
- It de-frizzes and adds shine. Chalk it up to the all-natural ingredients, I guess, but wow did this stuff do a number on my hair. It leaves my hair gorgeously shiny and tames my regularly out-of-control and frizzy locks. At first, I continued to use my regular hair products to give my hair a natural wave, but in the past week or so I've stopped using any products at all. Using this shampoo allows me to let my hair dry naturally and I get the natural waves look anyway. What was I wasting my time and money on all that extra product? The formula also weighs your hair down just enough so that it doesn't look pouffy.
- It smells good. I don't know about you, but one of the most important factors in choosing shampoos, conditioners, and other hair care products is that it absolutely must smell good. And this one does. Even though I despise the taste, I love the smell of coconuts.
- You can buy it in bulk. Which is great,if you have room for a giant chunk of beauty product in your bathroom. But if you don't, or are like me (cheap), it's still worth it to go into the store to buy your shampoo. You can ask for a small slice of the soap and will end up spending only $6-$8 on a bar of it that will last you 3-4 weeks. Conversely, you can ask for a giant block of it, which can cost up to $75 if you buy enough of it at a time.
Trichomania Bar Shampoo, $9.95, Lush.com
Worth It only features things we paid for ourselves and actually like. Don't send us stuff.