As you may have heard, there are changes in store 'round here. And so Jezebel is looking for some highly motivated new interns to join the party. If you're a Jane (or Jack!) of all trades, read on.
Internships can be for school credit. If you're not in school or credit is a non-option for you, let me know and we may be able to work something out.
- Strong writing skills and a great voice; you should be both clear and entertaining without the help of an editor. You must be a quick and witty writer. We move fast around here.
- Excellent news-gathering skills and judgment.
- Familiarity with Jezebel's content and style, as well as that of other major media outlets.
- HTML-proficient and familiar with basic blogging platforms.
- Good Photoshop and iMovie/Final Cut Pro skills. An eye for design.
- Well-versed in the ways of social networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc).
Applicants are ideally based in New York. There may be some flexibility on this, depending on what skills you're bringing to the table — but NYC-based applicants will receive preference.
NB: This is not a writing job (at the outset, anyhow). Nor is it a coffee-fetching job. But it certainly can be an interesting and, dare we say, fun experience.
How to apply:
I hate formal cover letters. Anyone can write one, and they rarely give one a sense of your personality. Instead, shoot me a few paragraphs about yourself and why you think you'd be perfect for this job. This is your one chance to impress upon me what kind of writer you are; I should have a feel for your style, personality and voice — as well as who you are and your qualifications — by the time I finish reading.
If you're already writing online, send relevant links. Please include your resume as text after your intro letter.
Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO ATTACHMENTS, please. Any emails with attachments will be automatically deleted. Even if you're otherwise awesome.
Internships begin ASAP and will continue at least through the spring; summer and beyond is not out of the question. Hours vary. In your application, please let me know your daily availability — mornings? Evenings? No Wednesdays? All day, every day? Whatever your situation, please be as specific as possible.
So put on your Sunday best and get a-typing. If I think you might be a good fit, I'll be in touch!