In the days leading up to Halloween, candy is everywhere. If you were feeling powerless to resist it, fret not! Researchers want you to have that Kit Kat. Really.
On the Psychology Today blog, Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. lists five reasons candy is good for you:
1. People who regularly eat candy live longer than those who don't.
2. A shot of sugar can restore your willpower/help you focus.
3. Chewing gum can improve your mood, reduce stress, increase your mental focus, and block pain.
4. Chocolate may decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease.
5. Cotton candy can help you grow new blood vessels.
Okay, that last one requires a lab and a medical degree, but candy is good for you so eat it. That's what science is telling you.
The Science of Willpower [Psychology Today]
[Image via Val Lawless/Shutterstock.]