- Chelsea Clinton's wedding is the single most important thing to happen to Rhinebeck since Henry Hudson sailed up river. But who is coming to the party? The Daily Beast has the answers:
Or, rather, the rumors. Barbra Streisand and Steven Spielberg might show up, but Obama is too busy.
- Women are beginning to lose interest in Obama, according to a recent survey. Back in 2009, Obama had a 59% approval rating among women, but that has fallen 14 points to just 45%. This may mark the beginning of the end of the democrat's dominance of the female vote. Republicans are, apparently, "recruiting."
- Hamas has banned shops in the Gaza Strip from displaying women's underwear in their windows. The new standard is intended to "restore public morals in Palestinian society," said police spokesman Ayman Batniji. He also says they plan to "launch investigations into the conduct of the store owners to avoid any suspicious behavior with female customers."
- News you can use: Using meth while pregnant is bad for the baby. It's also bad for the mom. Taking methamphetamine dramatically ups blood pressure, and possibly increases the risk for placental abruption. Meth-using moms are also less likely to seek proper prenatal care.
- The Arab man jailed for lying about his ethnicity in order to have sex with a Jewish woman is appealing his sentence. Sabbar Kashur, 30, has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for rape by deception, but his lawyer argues that she wasn't really fooled by his lies: "It's difficult to believe that a woman who has sex with a man just minutes after their first meeting is seriously basing her decision on his promises of a long-term relationship."
- Muslim feminists are fighting against segregation in mosques by organizing "pray-ins" around D.C.. They object to being pushed behind a curtain "like naughty children," or being relegated to the "penalty box," as they call it, instead of being allowed to pray with the men. They hope the peaceful protests will show that they just want to participate equally in the religious rituals.
- Following the second French women in as many years who has been accused of murdering her own babies, Time asks: what's wrong with French moms? Experts believe that the murders are the result of repeated pregnancy denial, where the mother simply refuses to believe that she is carrying an unwanted child.
- Pollution is turning an increasing number of Canadian fish into lady-swimmers, according to a study out of Alberta. Fish populations downstream of water-dumping locations tend to have a disproportionate number of female fish, which is thanks in part to hormonal runoff from birth control users.